Greetings from the cold north

DeNomad

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
New member from Edmonton, Alberta! Just wanted to say hi and liking the forum so far. Just dipping my big toe into the world of charcoal grilling and learning lots - I can thank one of my friends for cooking up some 6-hr slow cooked ribs over the weekend for this.

I had some sticker shock looking at the BGE and looking seriously investing in a Weber gold kettle soon.

Welcome. Great people on here. You'll learn a lot. As far as a good quality cooker on a budget, let me be the first to say build a UDS!

Thanks guys. After some searching on the sight and figuring out what a UDS was I do have some questions about the utility of a OTG vs a UDS. How do these things work in the winter? It gets bloody cold in winter up here. Can the UDS go super hot? I really want to do crispy Italian style pizza. Probably ~600 F to 700 F. On the other end of the spectrum I want to try slow cooking and smoking as well.

Is the answer to get both a UDS and a OTG? PS you guys sure like your acronyms!

I have two drums and really love them. Not sure if they get up to the 600-700f degrees you are looking for but I've cooked many pizzas in mine.
Folks in the northern parts of the US sometimes use insulated material wrapped around their drums in the winter for really cold days.
I've not had to try that... but have cooked with good success at 9F here in Oklahoma.

Good luck to you, I'm sure someone else will be along to give you a better answer.

Back