MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default BBQ For Our Veterans

Mods, feel free to move this thread if needed.

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted anything on the Brethren but I've never let up on my pursuit of great BBQ and I've grown so much in that regard in the years since joining y'all here. What I'm looking for is some input and wisdom regarding an endeavor I feel called to pursue.

I want to help the local Veterans in my area. I live about 20 minutes from the Lebanon PA VA Hospital. My plan in a nutshell is to host a massive BBQ Bash, on site (if possible), that would serve amazing BBQ to all staff and patients at the VA. I would also love to open it to the public and then serve the public by donation, and any Veteran, Reservist, Active Duty, Retired member of the Armed Forces for free. All proceeds would then be funneled back into the local VA for patient care. I'm also in Law Enforcement and am hoping to have the event served by a combination of Police Officers, EMT's, Fire Fighters, and other Veterans.

I have contacts within the VA that I'm hoping can open the doors to do this, as that is the first hurdle. This idea is about 12 hours old and so the networking on this is just beginning. I KNOW that I don't have the means to pull off the BBQ side of the event on my own. I would need multiple teams to commit and jump in to help. I have a few local ones already in mind but have not yet taken the step to contact them. I'm posting this to see what organizational help anyone here can provide. DM me if you have experience organizing anything like this. I know there are quite a few BBQ For The Troops type organizations and events out there already. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel. Right now, looking for advice and input.

Finally, I'm tired of reading/hearing the news and getting outraged, but doing less than nothing about it. I'm tired of being outraged, but staying on my lazy arse, offering no solution in return. I don't want to be that guy anymore. Thanks for listening...Let's Roll.

Glenn

Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good on ya for stepping up! There is definitely a tradition of BBQ folks doing cooks like this for the troops - a lot of folks from this site and I think around your area in particular are pretty active in this regard. You should have no trouble finding folks in your area who'd love to jump in.

If you want to look stuff up you could probably do a search for "troops" or "military" or similar words to see some of those type cooks.

Great stuff!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

You might talk with the Operation BBQ Relief folks if you can get hold of one. They've jumped all those hurdles of bringing together multiple cooking teams, getting legit to cater to the public at an event, etc.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Right on, I just started doing that research this morning. I started last night with a sort of personal mission statement I wrote out, sent a few emails, and now at it again today. Thanks for your input, Brother.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
You might talk with the Operation BBQ Relief folks if you can get hold of one. They've jumped all those hurdles of bringing together multiple cooking teams, getting legit to cater to the public at an event, etc.
I worked with a few of them in Brick, NJ after hurricane Sandy and have networked with a couple since. Good people, those OBR'ers!!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

The VA can be a tough nut to crack because of all their rules and regs. We were turned down by them

I have a group of Bretheren that is doing this for other vets organizations, here is one thread on it.

VFW's American Legions, etc seem more receptive

maybe give you some other ideas if the VA doesnt work out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=186669

PM me if you want some other tips to get started, it takes some patience and digging, keep at it
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
The VA can be a tough nut to crack because of all their rules and regs. We were turned down by them

I have a group of Bretheren that is doing this for other vets organizations, here is one thread on it.

VFW's American Legions, etc seem more receptive

maybe give you some other ideas if the VA doesnt work out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=186669

PM me if you want some other tips to get started, it takes some patience and digging, keep at it
Thank you so much for your input. I'm hoping that a personal connection to someone on staff (I won't say more here) may help me out. But that has been one of my biggest fears, that the bureaucracy inherent in the institution may limit what we can do. Praying for a positive outcome though...Thanks again for your help my Brother.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Thank you so much for your input. I'm hoping that a personal connection to someone on staff (I won't say more here) may help me out. But that has been one of my biggest fears, that the bureaucracy inherent in the institution may limit what we can do. Praying for a positive outcome though...Thanks again for your help my Brother.
I had a personal contact too. He was pretty high up but that did not help in my case.

If they turn you down dont give up, there are many veterans organizations out there that would welcome your help.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
I worked with a few of them in Brick, NJ after hurricane Sandy and have networked with a couple since. Good people, those OBR'ers!!!!

I helped out OBR in brick after Sandy as well. I think we just missed each other. In any event, I'd love to help out if I can. I'm not a certified caterer and don't have a large capacity cooker but if you can use a couple UDS's and WSM's, or just use some manpower, I'm in. Just let me know what I can do.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I helped out OBR in brick after Sandy as well. I think we just missed each other. In any event, I'd love to help out if I can. I'm not a certified caterer and don't have a large capacity cooker but if you can use a couple UDS's and WSM's, or just use some manpower, I'm in. Just let me know what I can do.
Thank you kindly! I was there with my wife, kids, brother, and father-in-law for a few hours. We delivered a half trailer load of supplies and helped serve lunch before heading home.

I'm also not a caterer (what do I think I'm doing, right?) but sometimes we just have to "ante up and kick in." So down the road I go...we'll be in touch, Brother.

Glenn

Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Good stuff! Let me know if I can throw in a few bucks for meat.
Shirley 54 Stickburner, Weber 26 Kettle, Backlit Blue Thermapen (not street legal), Blackstone Griddle, Lime 22" Kettle, Gray 22" Kettle, Blue SS Performer, Wine Fridge Cold Smoker, Redskins Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Go Anywhere, & Weber Spirit
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote