Royal Oak Issue

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I cooked with my first bag of Royal Oak (17lb bag from HD) and was really disappointed to see that a good portion of the bag was chunks small enough to fall through the bottom Kettle grate. It was so bad, the amount of "lost" charcoal was blocking all three holes of the intake damper as soon as I dumped it into the grill.

My snake burnt hot throughout most of the cook but it didn't stay at a consistent temp because so many of the coals were falling through the grate and interrupting flow of the snake.

Is this normal for RO bags or just a fluke?

I cooked with my first bag of Royal Oak (17lb bag from HD) and was really disappointed to see that a good portion of the bag was chunks small enough to fall through the bottom Kettle grate. It was so bad, the amount of "lost" charcoal was blocking all three holes of the intake damper as soon as I dumped it into the grill.

My snake burnt hot throughout most of the cook but it didn't stay at a consistent temp because so many of the coals were falling through the grate and interrupting flow of the snake.

Is this normal for RO bags or just a fluke?
In my case normal from the bags I get at Walmart. I always have to dump the bag to separate the larger usable chunks.

This is generally how it is with all lump for me. Most people do some sort of grate modification if they intend to use lump a lot. One way is to get a piece of expanded metal cut to fit over your charcoal grate. Another is to buy a second charcoal grate and place it 90 degrees off of the other one and wire tie them together. Either way prevents the small pieces from falling through.

I think most of the little pieces occur from rough handling during the shipping process, it is a toss up whether your bag will be bigger or smaller chunks with lump.

I got 3 bags from Walmart, only opened 1 so far and it was ALL very small pieces.

Yeah I've never liked RO. Just a lot of dust. I'm not a heavy lump user but picked up a couple of bags of Frontier lump at Lowe's just because of the price was 7.99 for 20lb bag and KBB wasn't on sale yet. So far I am really pleased with it. All medium to large size chunks.

If it was me I would carry it back to the Store as defective since you didn't get the Free rocks and insulation the bag. RO QC has became nonexistent when the sales drop of they might get the hint. I have not used it in years I get the stuff HEB ships up from old Mexico. Lots of big chunks of Trees and very little shake in the sack. No rocks or insulation No old Floor boards.

Every time I get a bag of RO lump this is the problem. I remedied that by using a layer of briquettes in the bottom of my coal basket first and then dumping the lump on top. It still irritates me when I have to do that.

On a side note, I will pick up ever single bag at Walmart and give it a little shake and see how much small stuff I can hear. Most folks like at me like I am a dork, but that is ok to. Let them think I am a dork later on when I am eating great Que and they are at home eating bologna sandwiches and rodeo bill potato chips. :p

Back