Strawberry Chocolate Icebox "Pie"

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For Mother's day this year I made Redhot a variation of something she does that she learned from her Granny. Her version is basically a death by chocolate desert using chocolate graham crackers for the crust and middle/top layers, a couple packages of Jello chocolate instant pudding, a tub of Cool Whip and a can of Chocolate frosting. This is assembled and then chilled in the freezer for serving. So, I decided to do this, but making everything from scratch save the graham cracker. Also, I wanted to use strawberries so I went in search of a strawberry pudding recipe.

Went with this one:

http://jensfavoritecookies.com/2013/06/06/strawberry-pudding/

And doubled it. I used 2 1/2 cups of whole milk and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream instead of 2 and 2 milk and cream.

When the pudding chilled in the fridge overnight, I folded in the whipped cream, then assembled.

The whip cream was two cups heavy cream and a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

The icing was an 8 oz package of Greek yogurt cream cheese, a couple egg whites (I used pasteurized eggs since they weren't being cooked), a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 5 TBS of cocoa powder mixed with 1 TBS shortening, and in between 5 to 6 cups of confectioner's sugar gradually added in until I liked the consistency.

I'm loving my stand mixer by the way.

This was awesome! And, got the Redhot seal of approval.

Here are some pics...

berries_zpsc4809056.jpg

berries1_zpsc3955338.jpg

berries4_zps8fbae7d2.jpg

berries6_zps9f3b74af.jpg

berries5_zps531b52f1.jpg

layer_zpsb51d5344.jpg

layer1_zps3650ef1c.jpg

layer2_zps3a061d98.jpg

layer3_zpseb50d769.jpg

layer4_zpsa6ca865c.jpg

pie2_zpsc71b5220.jpg

pie1_zpsb808ac9d.jpg

If you like strawberry chocolate, you've got to try this. Let it chill for a couple hours in the freezer. If hard frozen, thaw for a little while before serving.

Thanks for looking!

Dang Guerry, you are one of a kind! (and I mean that in a good way) :grin:
Just love everything about this dessert. Nice job!!

Wow, that looks good. Know I'm ready for desert :doh: gonna have to run down to the store. Yummy

LOVE IT.

To bad most deserts have eggs in them. :doh:

Dang Guerry, you are one of a kind! (and I mean that in a good way) :grin:
Just love everything about this dessert. Nice job!!

Thanks Jeanie! Michele was very happy. Plus, you just can't go wrong with chocolate and strawberries. Oh, and I had never made pudding from scratch before. :becky:

There are probably substitutes in the dairy aisle, but the pasteurized eggs are safe enough for me. :thumb:

My 5 year old son has a severe egg allergy. My wife loves baking and making deserts but struggles with the egg thing.

I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Too bad there's just so much damn sugar in that stuff because i'd get addicted to it if i ate it.

Just fantastic Guerry. Sounds like the perfect summer dessert and the pix are amazing - very nice!

:shocked: It's got fruit in it so I can have it for breakfast!!!!!

Thanks Uncle G that looks afarkingmazing! :hungry:

Back