THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flyboy718

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey guys.

Been grillin for a long time....prob not as long as a lot of you though...over the passed 4 years I have created my own bbq sauce just adding taking away this and that and I think I got a pretty awesome sauce. I have been workin on a bbq bean recipe from scratch with dry pinto beans and I have taken about a year gettin it just right. Kinda keeps poppin up in my head, I have an entrepreneur in me, but I want to do something I enjoy and I enjoy cooking a lot. So I thought about catering...I am originally from Louisiana and can make an awesome chicken and sausage gumbo and crawfish etouffe to add to my offerings. All I have at this point in time is the Char-Griller cast iron grates with fire box and a crappy red electric smoker. I love and I mean absolutely love smoking with pecan and in my opinion is the best flavor...I also make an awesome smoked turkey and chicken and I like to brine for added flavor and moisture. All that being said...I guess I would maybe start going to some events and cook and sell plates? I mean what is the best way to get into this?

I'd go to work for a caterer part time and see how you like it. If you still want to do it after that then read a few books about business and catering and get a business plan together and see what your investment would be then.

Getting into cooking for money is a lot different than cooking for passion. I agree with the sentiment above, work a few jobs, get a feel for the work. And all that while, really consider what equipment you are going to need and the costs associated with getting them.

A lot of cooks and culinary school graduates gravitate to catering because they think it is easier. Just keep learning, you can then decided if it's for you.

Back