Tri Tip

Uncle Buck

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought one and never cooked one!! Opinion on the best way to cook with a ceramic grill?

I rub with salt and pepper, cook on stickburner around 200-250 until IT is 125, then throw directly on the coals for some cowboy sear. Rest 10 and eat.

I'm not particular about woods, but almond and oak are what I have/use.

I treat it like a thick steak. Either sear over direct heat and then finish indirect or reverse seas as described above. I prefer it to be medium rare.

I prefer the reverse sear to med rare. Salt and Pepper or a beef friendly rub.

D0CCCEBC-E9CF-427C-8A9A-7C7FE27B2527_zpsum9ipvcy.jpg

Smoked tri tip is really good. Salt, cracked pepper, and granulated garlic, smoked to an internal 145 if you like more rare. My family tends to like it more well done, so I take it to an internal 160, pull, and let rest for at least 15 minutes.

I also like to cook Santa Maria style.
Salt, cracked pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary
baste through cook using red wine vinegar/garlic infused olive oil (or just plain olive oil) 50/50 equal parts of each (I usually use 1 cup of each)

Cooking on a hot grill, best if using red oak firewood, grill, turning and basting regularly until internal of 145 to 160 depending on preference.

Oakridge Black Ops, reverse sear to IT of 125, and rest for 10 to 15min slice and then there won't be anything left on the plate.

All good advice above... just remember to slice across the grain.

Another plus for the reverse sear.
And keep the seasoning simple like others said. S&P Garlic.
Tastiest beef going INHO!

Back