Bone-In vs Boneless Pork Butts, a newbie retread topic

BoLiles

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Okay, so I have been bbq'ing a few years and I am know at my work for every year doing pulled pork for my department. Typically, I do bone-in boston butts, and I have gotten them from a grocer or a butcher across town. This year there is a sale at a local store on pretty decent looking boneless butts, and so Brethern:

When cooking for a group of 20 or so, would you go boneless?

As you know, pork prices are rising thanks to the issues with keeping the pig "herds" healthy...is it worth going boneless for price? I'm sure I can keep them tender, but I am wondering about the differences in quality between bone-in and boneless.

I recently did 2 boneless butts from Costco for the 1st time.

They were a bit harder to trim up and one had to be tied with twine so it didn't lay flat but other than that they cooked up the same.

I did miss the pleasure of pulling out that bone though :p

I prefer bone-in but I've done plenty of boneless from Costco. Never really had an issue with them, they just don't stay together in a nice block after the bone is out.

Last week I smoked the boneless butts ($2.49/lb) from Costco and had no issues. I didn't tie them up either. I asked after everyone finished eating if they tasted any difference and they all said it tasted great.

I can't get bone in (easily) in my area.. I'd like to try them. I'm sure they taste the same as has been written may times in the forum.
I have to truss up the boneless ones because the flop all apart with no uniform shape - which just adds time to the process.
Walmart has the bone-in version locally.. But they are injected.. which I do not like.

Thanks ya'll - luckily I have a lifetime supply of butcher's twine from the supply store if I go this route! I will be posting a cook thread (or here?) on it come Thursday night/Friday morning!

I prefer bone-in, mostly because I use the "bone wiggle" as a pretty good indicator if the butt is done cooking. However, like several folks, I often get my meat at Costco and they only sell boneless (at least around here.)

A month or so ago I cooked a couple of boneless butts from Costco and that was some of the best pulled pork I've done! So, I guess I can't say the flavor is much different. :becky:

I do both. Bone in is usually a little better, but when the price is right, boneless works. Also, I just did a couple of them over the weekend and didn't tie them.
I just picked up a case at RD for $1.87/#.

I have done boneless with no problems, I always tie them back up now. Which is different from what I used to do, but, I feel the one lump mass cooks better.

I prefer bone-in, mostly because I use the "bone wiggle" as a pretty good indicator if the butt is done cooking. However, like several folks, I often get my meat at Costco and they only sell boneless (at least around here.)

A month or so ago I cooked a couple of boneless butts from Costco and that was some of the best pulled pork I've done! So, I guess I can't say the flavor is much different. :becky:

This is EXACTLY my feeling as well.

fun update after price shopping here in Fort Worth TX. Boneless at Aldi is $1.79# but I found Kroger has Bone-In for $1.99# as does Tom Thumb and of course if its decent quality Walmart will price match. I am sure RD/Sams/Costco might be cheaper? But I don't have a membership...it's surprising to find store with this low of pricing during a pig shortage.

the boneless butts ($2.49/lb) from Costco
Here it's $3.29/lb. The boneless ones cook faster, I've had no problems,
never tied one yet, but I will next time.
As far as price comparison, there's alot of trimming and skin in the bone-in ones here.
Weight that for comparison.

well, Kroger had bone in butts, and I scored about an 11 pounder for under $21. Cook starts tomorrow night!

My first cook this weekend on my new lg egg will be a boneless pork butt, thanks for the idea of tying it

Back