first time pulled pork

kpbridges907

Reaction score
Ok so i figure it's supposed to be 65 on friday :whoo: so it's gonna be a perfect day to smoke some pork, I would like advice on everything from what kind of meat and what to look for to how long to leave it on and what temps oh and of course best rubs and sauces to use. I am halfway proficient at brisket so if this is similar hopefully i won't be able to screw it up too bad. I will be using my Ok joes longhorn offset and trying out my maverick ET733 for the first time. I am your humble student TEACH ME. :pray:

I recently made some PP using Chris Lilly's recipe and Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce. It got rave reviews at work today.

I usually use this rub.
Popdaddy’s ButtGlitter
8 Parts Tina Turner - Paprika
3 Parts George Clinton - Salt
3 Parts Little Richard - Sugar
2 Parts Chaka Kahn - Cumin
2 Parts Prince - Garlic Powder
2 Parts Rick James - Onion Powder
2 Parts Don Cornelius (Re-Ground before mix) - Celery Seed
1 Part Carlos Santana - Chili Powder
1 Part John Travolta Powder - Oregamo
1 Part Larry Graham - Black Pepper
½ part each of Fred Wesley Powder and Bootsy Collins - Mustard - Red Pepper or Cayenne
Use a pork butt and keep it simple. Some people inject but I don't. I use a mustard slather that includes yellow mustard and Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and salt. Rub that on first then the rub. Wrap in saran and in the fridge overnight.
Smoker temp I use is 225-230 for 4 hrs then 250 for the rest of the cook. I use fruit woods for the smoke.
I do not wrap or spritz during the cook. When the internal temp hits 198-200 I pull, let sit on the counter for 15 min then wrap in a double layer of foil, then a beach towel and into the cooler for an hour or two.
Shred the meat and add more rub and maybe some spicy vinegar if needed. Serve on poboy bread or burger buns. I like to add a bit of slaw and bbq sauce.

I recently made some PP using Chris Lilly's recipe and Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce. It got rave reviews at work today.

Where do i find that recipe? As for the sauce it's hard to find any good sauces here and it takes way too long and costs too much to have them shipped here any other sauce ideas?

Pork butt is a pretty forgiving cut and will probably turn out well for you. Trim the fat to 1/4" so that it renders down to help form your bark. Many people slather with mustard but I use oil and then apply my rub liberally.
Unlike brisket and other large cuts which I cook to probe tenderness, I like to cook pork butt by IT. I like to cook mine at 250 and when the IT hits about 170 I'll go ahead and give a good coating of brown sugar and some butter (some folks use squeeze margarine but I use room temperature REAL butter and I make a paste with the brown sugar). I will also give the meat another dusting of rub as well and then cook it till it hits 198 IT at which point I'll check for doneness and when the bone wiggles free easily it's ready to come off (IT may be 200 or more when it's done). I then pull it off, let the IT come down to about 170 and then wrap it in foil and let it rest for a minimum of two hours. If it will be several more hours before guests arrive I'll put the wrapped butt into a cooler (with NO ice) with some towels to keep it warm. Serve it pulled with your favorite sauce mixed in, I prefer a vinegar base sauce like the folks from the Carolinas use.:-D

If you like mustard, this is a good sauce. Fat Johnny's is a good tomato based sauce.
Roxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

I've tried both the "trim the fat" and the "untrimmed". IMO, either works, and they both tasted good. The untrimmed version, when you pull it off, you'll have a lot of the fat cap come right off since it'll be stuck to the grill.

As far as rubs, I've never tried Chris Lilly's, but I've heard a lot about it, and what I use isn't that far off from his.
Mine has sugar,brown sugar,kosher salt,paprika, crushed red pepper, cayenne, garlic, onion,cumin,lemon pepper, black pepper, chili powder, honey powder (when I have it), molasses bacon seasoning (made by McCormick...look for it), ground mustard,and a couple others.

I've also done the "slather it with mustard" and not. Again, both ways are fine. Having the mustard on it, I think helps retain some of the moisture and keeps the rub in place. The last one I did where I coated it in mustard, just seemed juicier.

Either way you do, make sure to put a nice even thick coat of rub on it. Fire up the OKJoe, and throw that bad boy in the middle of your smoker. Use cherry,hickory,or apple wood to give lots of smoke. After about 4-5 hours, take it off, and wrap it. I put a stick of butter all over mine, spritz some apple juice all over it,a little bit of worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle a little bit more rub on it. Wrap tightly and throw back on the grill for about 2-4 more hours. Check your temps, and once the internal temp hits 195, take it off and let it rest. Then, pull the bone right out, and start pullin'/shreddin' and enjoyin'.

Rub some salt on the butt, load the box with hickory, run the grate temp at 300 it's done when the bone wiggles like a child's baby tooth.(about 50 miun lb@300) Let it set until you can handle it pull it add a little E NC vingar sauce to it and east till ya pop like a tic.

Back