THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
I have a 1.5lb package of ground sausage and was hoping to use it for my first fattie attempt. Do I follow the same steps as if I were using chub? Also, I defrosted this package and there's quite a bit of blood. Do I need to be diligent about draining the meat thoroughly before I roll it and throw it on? Thanks!

Yep. The stuff in the chub is just ground sausage.

I would make sure that it is as dry as possible or you will end up with a soggy fatty.

You can blot the meat with paper towels to soak up the residual blood. Then season it. If it's not sticky you can add a little iced water to the meat. Form into a log and wrap in clear plastic. Tie off one end, then while holding the other end, twist it up until the plastic is tight. You can work it a little to improve the "log" shape, then tie off the other end.

I generally let mine sit in the fridge overnight so the sausage sets up. These are beef stick, but you get the general idea. In the smoked photo, you can see how well they held shape.

y9g3qZy.jpg

5KU76Z6.jpg

Back