Figuring Your cost form trimming or cooking

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm helping friends with a concession stand at Knoxville Raceway. They got some help from another friend to make sure they were on the right path.

In looking at the numbers they were given, they show that the price for trim lose is: (Original price x %loss) + Original price. This was the number they were give to use as the cost of their meat.

On brisket they were give a 30% trim loss. So for example if brisket is $3 they are saying the cost of brisket is $3.90.

I personally this is wrong. If I figure it the way I have been, I use (Original / %yield). At $3 this would give a cost of $4.29.

I know there is a difference between trim and yield, but it was being used as the same term for my friends.

I wanted to get your thoughts on what way is more accurate.

If I figure it the way I have been, I use (Original / %yield). quote...
yes, this is the simplest.. how much do you start with (purchase price or weight) and how much is available to sell / yeild (start minus trim minus loss) no reason to get all fancy with the math and formulas...HOWEVER, sometimes you pay more per pound for a better trim, so this is where you want to look at trim loss and see how much the initial cost was, although the simple formula will also work for final percentage of sellable product.

If you can calculate %yield well that works. I think the trick is really figuring out your yield between what you trimmed pre-cook, what you trimmed post-cook, food thrown away, etc.

The dead simple formula is total cost / lbs sold. So if you spend $100 on brisket and sold 20lb, you need to make $5/lb to cover your food cost.

In looking at the numbers they were given, they show that the price for trim lose is: (Original price x %loss) + Original price. This was the number they were give to use as the cost of their meat.

On brisket they were give a 30% trim loss. So for example if brisket is $3 they are saying the cost of brisket is $3.90.

I personally this is wrong. If I figure it the way I have been, I use (Original / %yield). At $3 this would give a cost of $4.29.

You are correct, and the given formula [(Original price x %loss) + Original price] is wrong.

Should be (Original price)/ (1-%loss).

That gives you the price paid per the trimmed weight per lb.

Or, cooked price pound would be would be (Original price)/ (1-%losses(trim and cook)), which is also (Original price) / (%yield).

Are you talking pre cooked weights? I figure a 50% loss from trimming and cooking. There was a post on here I think from Big Mista who did a study and found it was more like the yield was about 45% of the package weight. So at $3lb raw weight I figure I have $6lb cooked. But currently I'm paying $3.68lb for choice packers by the case :shocked:

Only a matter of time before your prices, and that of others, rise.
Prepare to have folks upset at YOU
for something over which you have Zero control - cost of goods.

Are you talking pre cooked weights? I figure a 50% loss from trimming and cooking. There was a post on here I think from Big Mista who did a study and found it was more like the yield was about 45% of the package weight. So at $3lb raw weight I figure I have $6lb cooked. But currently I'm paying $3.68lb for choice packers by the case :shocked:

Yes, starting with precooked weight, you did answer my question. My friends had one of their friends help them set up how to figure their costs. I was looking at the formula ((Original price x %loss) + Original price = cost.) and it didn't make sense to me. If they use that formula they would be losing a lot of money.

Back