Frankenstein Babybacks on the Kettle w/ Pron

KpaxFAQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My first post of my own Pron.

Decided to fire up 2 racks of baby backs I had on the weber kettle this afternoon. It was nice and sunny but only 20degrees. I had a small amount of a bunch of different rubs I made left so I combined them all together to make a Frankenstein rub for these! :-D

I was out of wood chunks, so this is a straight Kingsford cook. No wood at all. I go by a bbq thermometer sitting in one of the vent holes on top. It read 250-300F running everything wide open the whole cook on this cold day having to add some fuel twice. It took 4.5hrs to pass the bend test. No water pan, no foil except for resting tent, brushed with apple cider vinegar twice while adding fuel. Membrane removed AFTER cook. As you can see the bottom rack was so tender I needed to assist a bit so it didn't break in half. One rack the right tenderness and one extra tender for the misses. I can't wait for the same day and 70 degrees :thumb:

Some scalloped potatoes to go with, I've never made them or looked at a recipe but have saw pictures and made something off the top of my head. Basically took some whole milk, cream and whatever spices were looking good at the time and combined with a bacon-fat rue to bake in a 375F oven for an hour and a half. I was happy with the result but will tweak a couple things in the future.

IMG_20140316_152302_703_zpsef3f0348.jpg

IMG_20140316_160325_011_zps4761b391.jpg

IMG_20140316_163758_190_zpse2b73953.jpg

IMG_20140316_164714_577_zps4c3ac095.jpg

Nice. Heck of a smoke ring for no wood. That kettle must have some good season.

Nice. Heck of a smoke ring for no wood. That kettle must have some good season.

Interesting you mention that! I was surprised as well and yes the kettle is welllll used because it's all I have.

I did notice in the flavor that there was no wood used though. Still some tasty ribs with nice texture but not the same smoke flavor. This was expected though, sometimes you just have to roll with what you have on hand! :thumb:

Great looking cook! I keep a bag of kingsford hickory charcoal on hand on those rare times I don't have any chunks or other wood - not often but usually a last minute "hey lets bbq something".

Love the brewery in the pic - never heard of Lord Chesterfield Ale though, must not be one they distribute in SC (at least not in the grocery stores). I will look for it in total wine next time I can.

Great looking cook! I keep a bag of kingsford hickory charcoal on hand on those rare times I don't have any chunks or other wood - not often but usually a last minute "hey lets bbq something".

Love the brewery in the pic - never heard of Lord Chesterfield Ale though, must not be one they distribute in SC (at least not in the grocery stores). I will look for it in total wine next time I can.

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah usually you can only find it in Green Bottles. Just like the flagship LAGER I find it suffers from the green bottle skunk flavor. I only buy Yuengling in cans, plus they fit better in my beer fridge :-D

Even in Yuengling's backyard here in PA the Lord Chesterfield Ale isn't one of their most popular products but I find it incredibly refreshing. They don't really make a bad product, middle of the road solid for the price.
I love my craft beers but love most of Yuengling's products as my every day beers. I just don't have the focus to drink a 97 million times IPA every single time I have a beer. Sometimes I just want A beer. :thumb:

Helps that I like to shop local as in USA in anyway I can and 100% of it is owned and brewed here in the good ol' USA. Can't say that for most of the big boys anymore. Since Bud is dutch owned now, Yuengling is actually the largest American owned brewery as well.

Back