How do you clean the ash out your pit?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What kind of pit and how do you do it?

I just usually poor the ash out just before the cook. I don't bother wiping the ash out with a paper towel.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing it this way, but I always seem to forget to clean out the pits after 24-48 hours of letting the coals completely die down (although my Mini WSM coals go out in a few hours pretty much all the way it seems).

Maybe I should be wiping the ashes out?

A weber rep told me that ash isn't good for the propeller vent in the kettles.

Hasty bake says to clean out foil lined ash pan after every cook. I don't line it with foil and it has accumalated about 5 cooks worth of lump ash (not much ash since lump charcoal but still.. lol)

I can't see ash hurting the mini wsm or wsm 18.5.. since they are porcelain lined bowls.

I just feel it's all such a mess right now is why I ask.. looked at all my bbq pits and they are loaded with ash and half burnt lump. :smile:

I have a plastic jug that I cut the bottom off of to scoop out the ash when I need to. I don't wipe it out.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vacmaster-VP205-Portable-Wet-Vacuum/dp/B002I7J7LQ/ref=lp_553022_1_6?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1394393740&sr=1-6"]Vacmaster VP205 Portable Wet/Dry Vacuum - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UrN4adnpL.@@AMEPARAM@@41UrN4adnpL[/ame]

It's not designed for ash, but I got it for $20 at Target. It works great to clean out my Kamado Joe and Yoder.

I always clean the ash out within a day or two of a cook. My Klose has a removable ash pan that makes to pretty easy. Once its out, I usually come behind it with a small brush or shop vac to get in the corners of the fire box. My Weber has the "one touch" system which makes it pretty easy.

I either pick up the kettle and empty it out over a garbage can or scoop the ashes out using a salad bottle cut like this.
ashscoop.jpg

I leave the cap on, and just cut off the bottom, though.

I clean my ash out of my OTG, UFO, and Tushka the next day when they are cooled. Old habits die hard. Coming from Florida with such a high humidity I have always felt that the ash retains moisture and promotes rust. In my world a clean cooker is a happy cooker. I have a screen and I dump my ashes out and screen the lump and keep the good stuff in a galvanized can with a lid. That is the first to go into the chimney to start my next cook. FIFO The firebox is swept with a soft brush too.

Vacmaster VP205 Portable Wet/Dry Vacuum - Amazon.com

It's not designed for ash, but I got it for $20 at Target. It works great to clean out my Kamado Joe and Yoder.

That's what I use for the pellet cookers and Eggs, too. Works great!

For my Backwoods, I pull out the ash pan and dump it into a plastic bucket. WSMs and Kettles get dumped or scooped and the ashes go into the bucket. Once the bucket is full enough I bag the ashes and toss them in the trash.

Offset - wait until the next day and dump it (cooled of course) out of the ash tray into a trash bag. I then whisk broom the firebox and give it a quick wipe. When I had my WSM, I would just dump it into a trash bag after it cooled, whisk broom it out and then turn the bottom over in the lawn and give it a couple of whacks to get the dust out. Never really needed to wipe it.

I have a screen and I dump my ashes out and screen the lump and keep the good stuff in a galvanized can with a lid. That is the first to go into the chimney to start my next cook.

I do the same. :smile: When I bother to clean it out heh.

WSM. I have a hole in the back yard we use for bonfires and makes a good place for this. After a cook I just carry the bottom portion out back and...wait for it...kick it in the ash hole.

On the BG I scoop the cool ashes into a galvanized can then brush out the residual, on the uds'es(what is the plural of uds?) I pull the basket when cool, pour the leftover lump in a bucket with holes I drilled in the botom and one side to shake the ash out. Usually use the leftovers in my grill. I may turn the drum over, or give a quick, I mean quick rinse with the hose if alot ash in bottom

I try to stay on top of my ashes with my offset. I clean my firebox out after every cook the same day and wipe out the leftover ashes out of the corners.

Fireplace kit. Shovel and sweep into a galvanized bucket with lid.

UDS'- raise basket out before each cook and shake out ash from basket/ash pan assembly.

Kettles- simply remove grates and invert to dump ash. Sometimes ill wipe the ash off upper sides of kettle base where food might contact it.

Drum grill- just pick up cookie sheet ash pan and dump.

Akorn- remove ash pan from bottom and dump. E-Z.

Offset - wait 24 hours for embers to cool. Hold empty charcoal bag under open end of firebox and scrape out majority of ashes with ash tool. Haul out shop vac and vacuum out firebox. Clean out corners with whisk broom and vacuum again. Wipe out with paper towel. Place charcoal bag on concrete driveway until trash day.

WSM - Wait 24 hours for embers to cool. Dump ash in trash can. Whisk broom ash off sides. Shop vac remaining ash from bottom.

5-in-1 paint scraper and a whisk broom are my go to's.

Use the scraper to get off the cooked on crud, whisk broom to sweep ashes through the vents (daisy wheel Weber kettles).

Of course, with the WSMs I scrape them then just carry the bottom over to the woods and toss the ashes out.

My stuff all gets stored inside, so the ash in the bottom isn't as bad as stuff that would get stored outside where the ash could get wet.

Last edited:
Back