MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Troop Feed Cook-Part 2

I (we) are up to it again. The BBQ Brethren have been asked to take a leading role in preparing and serving a BBQ meal for 7,700 National Guard and Army personnel at Camp Roberts in CA. My menu looks like this.

Pulled Pork (.2# per person)
Brisket (.2# per person)
Tri-tip (.2# per person)
Chicken (.15# per person)

Caesar Salad (3oz per person)
Veggies (4oz per person)
Slaw (4oz per person)
Beans (4oz per person)

With those numbers, I am at close to a pound of finished product (meat only) per person, I suppose I can trim that back. Although I am assuming not everyone will want every meat. I might drop brisket, as two beef doesn't make sense.

What say you pro's? Does this seem like the correct amounts?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

WOW that gonna be a lot of cooking. I'll take a stab at it but the numbers may run a little different as pork is king here. Also your probably not going to have a complaint if you ran out of one meat or side like a caterer would. I think your numbers look good except I would probably drop a beef like you suggested. I have never fed the military but something tells me they can eat so maybe 3oz each of pork and beef and with 4 sides you could maybe drop the slaw back to 3oz. For chicken I cook legs and thighs and do like 2/3 drumsticks and 1/3 thighs. For two meats I find that 1pc for 85% of the head count more than enough and as a 3rd meat I figure 1pc for 65-70% of the headcount which overall probably meets the .15# that you are figuring. I'd probably move that a little higher just to be safe as a caterer and not wanting to run out but for you I think your fine. Post some pic's of the prep and stuff that would be awesome to see, that's massive amounts there 7700 people all I can say is WOW
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
landarc

Thanks for the input. They make sense.

I am currently pretty sure I didn't think this through when I said yes.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

That's like 128 full steam pans of beans 180 gallons of slaw 360 pork butts I better stop there
Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
landarc

Yes, in a major BBQ chain, that would be one heck of a great week.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

The amounts look close IMO. I am not sure about having 2 different beef dishes though. If the thought is "Let's show these folks what BBQ is all about"----then yeah maybe two different beef cuts. I guess that it depends on BBQ pit space that we are going to have.

Are we making the beans? I have enough equip to make beans for about 2000 people if we make it on site.

Top Sirloin (Top Block) Santa Maria Style may also be an option over Tri-Tip. The cost of Tri-Tip has been climbing and Top Sirloin is an option. Top Block is the original Santa Maria Style and IMO is a better product than Tri-Tip.

Landarc --I once had your phone number--but it is gone. I can be reached at 5309903539 or cowboycuisine@aol-----I would love to help you plot.

I can bring both a Santa Maria Pit and my Bushrod Smoker ---Yelonutz mentioned bringing his Gator. I know folks in that area that I can get Santa Maria Grills from--not a high number of smokers near Central Coast--that area is pretty firm on Santa Maria Style.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
landarc

Leonard, I will send you my phone number, I would like to work online or by email, as then everything is already written down. I say we go Top Block, I love that cut, and have not cooked it in 30 years. So that probably makes it a bad choice, but, still, I think unless someone is willing to part with a load of tri-tip, Top Block is a great choice. We need Santa Maria grills, that is for sure. And smokers, unless I find someone with a couple of huge trailer units (Sadly, the one person I knew that had one sold it).

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
screaming pete
Got rid of the matchlight.

Dam you need about 30 pit masters to help you with 4 asst. ea..
screaming pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
landarc

Yes, and I hope I can get them.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
gtr

This is on Father's Day, right? Regardless of when it is, I'm hoping to make it up there to help. I don't have a big pit I can move around, but I can bring my hands and what's left of my brain. I will make sure about the family's schedule and let you know asap.

If you're considering any kind of off-sight cooking to be reheated on site maybe I can make a tiny tend that way i.e. cook/cool/bring/heat/serve.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
landarc

This reminds me, I need to PM Phil with more questions. Like a GoFundMe site and reaching out to sponsors.

Thanks for the offer Big G, you are certainly welcome, I could use a lot of hands. It's a BBQ Brethren Event, I am just the coordinator. I mean, who hasn't wanted to cook 2 tons of meat?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Landarc

Enlighten me-----do you need donations for groceries, or is someone gonna help sponsor this event? If donations are needed let's get on it. I sometimes can be help. I understand if you are waiting for word from Camp Roberts.

bbq servings in an amount over 7,000 plates has been mentioned. Is that a realistic number? What is serving schedule if known------7.000 all at once, right now ----or staggered groups of 2,000 or what?

I am ready to counterattack-----prepare me for what?
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote