My best brisket bark

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I've smoked a few briskets. Had the usual troubles, mostly pulling it from the pit too early or not resting long enough. This site has shortened the learning curve considerably. Perfect bark has eluded me. I'd get some but not on the whole thing. This go around I slathered a 7 lbs brisket in mustard and used modified Memphis dust for the pre rub. In the morning I pulled it from the fridge and gave her a healthy coating of coarse ground dalmatian rub. On the pit, ramped up to 325 after an hour. Probed tender after 6 or 7 hrs. I shut down the vents and let it coast down until dinner.
I'll dubbed this the "ninja method"

Attachments

• 20140216_190023.jpg
    20140216_190023.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 719
  • 20140216_190854.jpg
    20140216_190854.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 715
I'd say it looks more like a technique than a method per say. :cool: It might not have weeped long enough but it looks pretty good.

Congrats! My bark is always lacking to me. Nobody complains about the taste or texture but I always end up wrapping in butcher paper too early. I cook a lot of flats or really small briskets due to not having enough people to feed. I need to try to do one nekked soon.

Congrats! My bark is always lacking to me. Nobody complains about the taste or texture but I always end up wrapping in butcher paper too early. I cook a lot of flats or really small briskets due to not having enough people to feed. I need to try to do one nekked soon.

I usually do them on my wsm. It takes most of the cook to get my bark, so for now wrapping is not an option. Try the slather and pre rub, then dose her with s & p before it goes on the pit. Just keep the pre rub low on salt. It works for me.

This is what my other briskets looked like. Bark was weak.

Attachments

• 20131220_222230.jpg
    20131220_222230.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 609
What's the difference between a technique and a method?
A technique > 1. a practical method, skill, or art applied to a particular task: 2. proficiency in a practical or mechanical skill
A method > Is a means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something: a simple method for making a pie crust;

That's some serious bark! You can get bark by foiling but just don't foil over 2 hours and allow the bark to firm up for about 30 minutes. It also helps if you don't add any liquids in your foil/pan either.

Back