THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

schnetzfam

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Im trying out my uds for the first time, I have read on this forum from several users that its best to use a higher temp when smoking chicken so the skin isn't rubbery, Well I have all vents open and been running for about an hour, I haven't broke 300 degrees yet what gives its windy and in the mid 40's. Any tips for this rookie

What size are ur intakes? More air in is more fire is more hot.......:mrgreen:
Wind will sap heat worse than cold temps- get it out of direct wind.
Take lid off for 5 minutes - temp outa climb plenty.

Also what size exhaust do you have? Like mentioned, air flow equals heat. Also did you check your thermometer against another one?

Yep adequate air in and air out equals heat. My UDS can do 400* standing on it's head in sub zero temps...regardless of wind chill.

Thanks for the comments, I must have been a little impatient, it heated up just fine and the chicken cooked up pretty good for a first try. I guess Im gonna have to learn to be patient.

325+ for the best poultry skin. 375 is even better. If you don't want to eat your skin, go ahead and cook it at 250, but I love skin, so I'd never want to do that.

Try using half lump and half briqs, or just all lump. Lump puts out more BTUs, which means a hotter cooking temp. As was mentioned above, if you are having issues getting higher temps in your UDS, you should look at intake and exhaust for possible issues. With the proper draft and good fuel, a uds should have no problems getting to 325

Yep adequate air in and air out equals heat. My UDS can do 400* standing on it's head in sub zero temps...regardless of wind chill.

Agreed, I have a hard time keeping mine at 300* or less. Wind, no wind, hot outside, cold outside, doesn't seem to matter. She breathes like a dragon.

Start with more hot coals and leave the lid off until your thermo passes 250. It should settle in at 325- 350

Wind and cold are the enemies of a UDS.

Some people have modded their UDSes so the intake and exhaust valves can be rotated away from the wind.

Others wrap their UDS in welding blankets to keep the heat in.

I agree about the wind. The other day I was running on two open vents. I was having trouble running above 280 when usually I can go as high as I want. At one point I saw smoke bellowing out of an intake vent.

Back