MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
LordlyMantis
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 150 degrees on a gravity fed smoker?

I was wondering if anyone with a gravity fed smoker has been able to maintain it at 150. I'm looking at possibly augmenting or replacing my current pellet grill with a gravity fed. Beef jerky and bacon are two of my mainstay products though and I smoke both of them at 150. Would I be able to do that with the gravity fed?

Thanks
LordlyMantis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Sure, it's all about fire management. Controlling the amount of air to the fuel.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Stumps and just recently started cold smoking sausage and beef sticks then low temp smokes. I run a Guru and have trouble keeping temps in the 120-145 range. The sweet spot for my smoker is 150-160 and it holds at that temp. Just need to be alert if winds pick up as it will increase the temps. I just so happened on the two weekends I needed the wind to be calm it was the opposite so that probably played a part in the temp spikes. It can be done.

I am actually looking for a smoker for just sausage, jerky and sticks. Looking at electric and propane.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
pjcd
Found some matches.

Gotta comment, I'm smoking a couple of shoulders and I'm having trouble getting the temps above 245, Every thing is wide open and its having trouble staying at 245-250, never had a issue with low temp control, I have a Stumps Smoker, I'm not big on using the guru, (although I have one)
pjcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Do you have enough of your charcoal lit? I've always used a guru mainly because I didn't want to worry about temp fluctuations.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcd View Post
Gotta comment, I'm smoking a couple of shoulders and I'm having trouble getting the temps above 245, Every thing is wide open and its having trouble staying at 245-250, never had a issue with low temp control, I have a Stumps Smoker, I'm not big on using the guru, (although I have one)
My stumps is solid from 225 (never tried lower) and up to 475.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

150 is about as low as I can get-never took it past 350 with the exception of a grease fire.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcd View Post
check to make sure your charcoal is falling down in the chute-sometime when using lump, pieces might get lodged in the chute, called bridging. If that happens then the charcoal will not fall down and will not light. Take a stick or broom handle and shove down the chute to dislodge any charcoal that may be stuck.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

You should be able to make a short grate about 1" tall by the dimension of your chute and hold it up while you slide the fire grate in under it. That'll give you a smaller area of fire burning and should make it easier to maintain lower temp.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote