And now for something completely different...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm not sure about all the rest of you, but I get into ruts where I seem to cook the same old things over and over again. My wife and I have a rotation of a couple dozen meals that we enjoy and prepare consistently well, but after a while we need to change things up. With that in mind, plus the current Throwdown going on

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178591

I figured I would try to prepare something completely different. For inspiration, I called on a fond memory of decades gone by...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y

I'm not normally much of a dessert type of person but this meal called for one, or at least it called for my version of one (to be explained later). Ingredients as follows...

9vfc.jpg

Dump chocolate in the food processor...

3dzw.jpg

Chop up into fine granules...

yoev.jpg

Add butter, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, egg yoke and blend...

352y.jpg

And pour into plastic wrap lined ramekin to be chilled in fridge overnight. This is now basically a big chocolate truffle. :thumb:

47h4.jpg

Fast forward to the next day. Start of with a couple small lobster tails and some shrimp (aka crevettes in French :idea:)...

8iz9.jpg

Coated with oil, sprinkled lightly with various herbs/seasonings and on to the Weber they go...

y3cg.jpg

mmki.jpg

And a few minutes later they are good to go... :mrgreen:

yx01.jpg

While the lobster and crevettes were resting peacefully in the fridge, it was time to make up some sauce. Start by melting some butter...

kyad.jpg

Add some flour, whisk for a minute or two to make a roux and forget to focus the farkin' camera... :mad:

nrfz.jpg

Add warm half and half and continue to whisk over heat until it begins to thicken...

r8mm.jpg

Add salt, pepper, some grated nutmeg and whisk thoroughly...

uhnq.jpg

Add about 3oz of grated Gruyere...

fvfq.jpg

And once it's all stirred in and melted we have a Mornay sauce... :thumb:

zaak.jpg

At this point, I poured off about half of the Mornay sauce (for later use) and added dijon mustard, lemon juice, dry sherry and a few drops of hot sauce...

nwjm.jpg

I gave it a good wisk and I added one egg yoke...

0adq.jpg

Whisked all together and now we have a Thermidor sauce... :thumb:

uyfr.jpg

Now back to the lobster and crevettes. Gave them a rough chop...

3znk.jpg

Added the Thermidor sauce...

3hvq.jpg

Spooned the mixture (plus some grated parmesan and parsley)back into the reserved lobster shells...

xr6k.jpg

And on to the Traeger for about 15 minutes at 375F...

6od8.jpg

Remember the chocolate truffle I made the day before? Well I spooned it into a little pâté dish and plated it up with a couple graham crakers...

cnip.jpg

Consequently I'm calling this a truffle pâté... :thumb:

3isq.jpg

Wow. This is really taking a long time isn't it? :shocked: I'm getting thirsty. Is anyone else getting thirsty? Well, I think it's about time for a little snifter of brandy... :thumb:

2vq4.jpg

Oops. I almost forgot one of the critical ingredients...

1q0y.jpg

And here we have the finished meal. Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam (which is under the fried egg)... :thumb:

8dcj.jpg

j2vb.jpg

If you made it to the end of this post, thank you for hanging in there. If you are wondering, I did eat it all and it was very tasty... :hungry: Not sure I would do it again unless I had nothing better to do, but it was "Something Completely Different" and well worth the effort. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Wow, that was fabulous Al.... and I was expecting salmon. :loco:

Thanks Gore... It was a toss up between this, salmon or beef ribs. Those are probably next on the agenda. :thumb:

I'm not usually fond of using teenage girl text lingo but as I was looking at the pics I was thinking OMG

That looks great and qualifies as something different. It's fun to do different now and again.

Other than shrimp I really don't care for sea food. But that looks amazing. Great job Mongo.

Wow. Big Wow. I'm presently working on my entry but it will be hard to compete with that! :hungry:

Back