MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Doing Panini Sandwiches for 300?

So I'm doing a food expo where I'm vending like 300 pressed pulled pork sandwiches. Anyone got an idea on how to press sandwiches like 20 at a time so that they're nice hot and crispy in a vending situation?

No real time to cook to order

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

If you had a large cooker with a large cast iron griddle to put them on, a second griddle of equal size that you could put some coals on the top you could get it hot Dutch oven style. something like that might work.
Like a couple of these:
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

When are you doing this? I have a pair of these griddles and a camp chef stove I will give it a test drive on Saturday if you like. If you were a little closer you could borrow them.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
So I'm doing a food expo where I'm vending like 300 pressed pulled pork sandwiches. Anyone got an idea on how to press sandwiches like 20 at a time so that they're nice hot and crispy in a vending situation?

No real time to cook to order
No real secret other than just having the equipment. I have one of these, with the 36inch commercial grade griddle attachment on one side and 36 inch grill on the other side.
When is the event? Maybe I can help ya out if you can't sort yourself out, pm and lemme know.

[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would look into two large propane griddles. I am sure you can rent them. Either use group pressing with a large sheet pan and a couple of half bricks or use individual bacon presses. I would be tempted to go the bacon press route, as griddles are rarely even heat. I have used cast iron skillets, but, compression is too much.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys. Unfortunately it's indoors in a convention center. Its @ the NYC hot sauce expo. Im looking to smoke some shoulders & make bbq Cubanos. I have 2 months to figure it out but kinda caught myself makong the pitch and realizing I've never premade that many cubans for a vending scenerio. Catering ues but vending no. Im thinking maybe an electric griddle & a heavy cast iron top? With some weights?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

There's no reason you can't use a propane cooker indoors.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You are going to want a couple of electric griddles, real estate is the key. Pressing is easy, the heat source is going to be the limiting factor. I suspect open flame will not be allowed on a temporary basis indoors.

I still like the use of bacon presses, or commercial quality sheet pans and a little weight. I have done this, inverting the sheet pan, so the lip provides both a consistent level of press and traps some steam, aiding in melting and heating inside of sandwich.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks guys. Unfortunately it's indoors in a convention center. Its @ the NYC hot sauce expo. Im looking to smoke some shoulders & make bbq Cubanos. I have 2 months to figure it out but kinda caught myself makong the pitch and realizing I've never premade that many cubans for a vending scenerio. Catering ues but vending no. Im thinking maybe an electric griddle & a heavy cast iron top? With some weights?
Ahhh, that's gonna make it "interesting" being indoors. You are gonna need some high watt electric griddles.

I was looking to get involved with that festival myself. Last year it was outdoors, too bad they moved indoors this year.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Ahhh, that's gonna make it "interesting" being indoors. You are gonna need some high watt electric griddles.

I was looking to get involved with that festival myself. Last year it was outdoors, too bad they moved indoors this year.
I'm glad they moved it indoors. I was freezing my arse off last year. Plus the wind kept blowing everything away - my sign, my sample cups, napkins - just a royal mess. Plus even outdoors many of these parks won't let you do any kind of creative cooking

Any electric griddles you recommend?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #11
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm glad they moved it indoors. I was freezing my arse off last year. Plus the wind kept blowing everything away - my sign, my sample cups, napkins - just a royal mess. Plus even outdoors many of these parks won't let you do any kind of creative cooking

Any electric griddles you recommend?
Sorry man, no real experience with any electric griddles. Good luck trying to make it all work out!
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #12
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

as Joes says you will need good power, they do make larger sandwich presses, hi wattage hi heat in a minute they will make about four, look at the cuban sandwich presses, I have seen them however never used them
I have a smaller one that does two at once for when I vend rubens, however about 4 minutes each, I bring the time down by having the sandwiches made and warmed in the steam table, then brown em..
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Are you cutting these into smaller sizes for samples? And is you are what size will the sample be. I would look for a way so you are cooking the sample size and not larger sandwiches you need to cut. Do you need to have NSF equipment?

Did a CL check and found these:

I have one like this and works great. If you have you fillings hot it won't take long to make sandwiches. http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bfs/4250812167.html

Not sure if you will have power for this one. http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bfs/4282877127.html

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Last edited by Pyle's BBQ; 01-13-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 AM   #14
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

that 22o volt is the one for quick turnaround
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffry1970 View Post
There's no reason you can't use a propane cooker indoors.
maybe in the sticks where the fire marshal also is the local mechanic and mayor

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->