MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Jeffm827i
Full Fledged Farker

Default Prime Rib Roast

Gonna smoke a Prime Rib Roast for Xmas. Any suggestions on rubs, temp and method. Gonna do it on my UDS.
Jeffm827i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I most often use an herb and garlic rub anymore. I know lots of folks around here do salt and pepper though.

I cook at 225°F until internal of 130°F or so. That should give you a nice 135 to 140 finished.

Unless you reverse sear, which I don't (as herb rubs burn easily), if you reverse sear, then cook to 125°F internal and sear for color.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

What I'm doing. Cut the bones off the roast, but keep them attached to each other, ie as a rack of ribs. Season roast lightly with Montreal seasoning, or a mix of salt, pepper and garlic. Season the bones with a different but complimentary rub. Tie the bones back onto the roast. Cook indirect to an internal temp of 100°. Sear all sides of the roast and then back to indirect till an internal of 125° is reached. Take off the cooker and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
MossyMO
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Marty Owens

Here is a 11 lb. prime rib I did last summer using ChefJimmyJ's Au Jus recipe, Curley's Prime Rib Pump and also Tatonka Dust seasoning for idea's and reference.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=169420
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

I like a reverse sear approach on the smoker for the edge-to-edge color it gives; cooking initially at 200*, taking the meat to an IT of 110*, then sticking into a 500* oven to finish the crust.

The wife likes hers a little past med. rare (sacrilege, I know!!) so we have also smoked the rib slowly to 110*, then rested it while we fire up a grill. Once the grill is smokin' hot, slice the rib into "steaks" and sear to the doneness of your liking. Gives you the best of both worlds, smoked and seared and everybody gets their preferred doneness. Thanks to the folks at the Old Millstream Inn in St. Charles, MO for the method!
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Here's some basic information:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150482
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I'm thinking about this method this yr. still not sure if I want to use the oven or the smoker
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/t...prime-rib.html

Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

I like them seasoned up like you would a steak. Perhaps Worcester then Montreal seasoning. Then cook around 300* with just a kiss of smoke.
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Blah64
On the road to being a farker

Is it worth rubbing with salt the night before?
Blah64 is offline   Reply With Quote