MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comp cooking on a Lang 36 deluxe? Doable?

Hi my names josh, this is my first post other than my intro so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm picking up my new Lang 36 deluxe this Friday and was approached with the idea of doing a couple comps next year. I've never considered it due to the fact that I never thought the Lang would never have the capacity to do all 4 KCBS categories at once? Am I wrong? Can it be done? I was thinking butts, brisket and ribs on the Lang and maybe chicken on my Weber kettle? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josh!
Waterboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

you can do all the meats on there. Timing and planning.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody care to elaborate on the planning/timing needed to accomplish this?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

I was also wondering if I could get by with only cooking 1 butt and 1 brisket in a comp? I know most teams I've seen cook at least 2 of each but I don't have near enough room for 2 butts and 2 brisket. Can I get by with 1 butt, 1 brisket, 2 racks of ribs and say 12 chicken thighs?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can do whatever you feel like. Most do more than one just to cover the possibility of one not being that good. Not necessarily the cook, but the cut. We've all picked up less than awesome cuts before. You'll have more to choose from the more you have.
As to your first question, you have a deluxe, so you have a warming cabinet. Learn how to hold your food and possibly, finish it in there. It'll hold temp for you and add smoke if needed. You'll have to practice a lot but I'm sure you'll get it.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

It could be done. Get your timing down so your butt n brisky are off (wrapped in a cooler or cambro) when it's time for ribs to go on. You can do your ck on a kettle but you could fit them in probably. I only cook 8 thighs at comps. Ya only need 6.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
You can do whatever you feel like. Most do more than one just to cover the possibility of one not being that good. Not necessarily the cook, but the cut. We've all picked up less than awesome cuts before. You'll have more to choose from the more you have.
As to your first question, you have a deluxe, so you have a warming cabinet. Learn how to hold your food and possibly, finish it in there. It'll hold temp for you and add smoke if needed. You'll have to practice a lot but I'm sure you'll get it.
So I could finish my butt and brisket in the warmer and allow myself enough time to cook my ribs/chicken? That makes a lot of sense. I should have enough room to have a butt, briskey and a couple racks all in the cooking chamber at the same time. ChickIn is my only problem area since I like to cook it a little hotter to crisp up the skin...maybe I will save the chicken for the kettle. I will certainly be making a couple practice rounds and try to getting all my times down. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Diesel Dave

Learn your temp zones on the Lang.
Closer to the fire box you'll be hotter for sure. Chicken on the right and kick up the airflow. The Lang will get as hot as you want it.

Good luck it's gonna take some trying but I know it can be done.

Mitch gave you some great input as well, he knows what he's doin no doubt there

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes you could, but man you would really need to have the timing down. Butts/Brisket off early to leave room for the ribs/chicken. If I was only cooking on a Lang 36 I would also be checking CL for a cheap 18 or 22 WSM .

Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Waterboy12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Yes you could, but man you would really need to have the timing down. Butts/Brisket off early to leave room for the ribs/chicken. If I was only cooking on a Lang 36 I would also be checking CL for a cheap 18 or 22 WSM .
Ha. I'm always looking my friend!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

I'm looking to be in the same boat but may upsize to a 48 but I'm of the same mind of doing less meats. My only other thoughts in that matter are that if something goes wrong you don't have much extra meats to work w/ so you've got to get the best you can find from the start (when you buy it) As others have said timing in key w/ butts/briskets on early eve so they're off early enough for ribs/chicken so you need to have a Cambro or good cooler to hold them for a long time. I would seriously consider something like a 18 or 22 WSM as a backup for chicken or ribs if you do stick w/ a 36. At least w/ a 48 you'd have some extra room to play w/ should butt/brisket run late.
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
tlcartman
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Learn your temp zones on the Lang.
Closer to the fire box you'll be hotter for sure. Chicken on the right and kick up the airflow. The Lang will get as hot as you want it.

Good luck it's gonna take some trying but I know it can be done.

Mitch gave you some great input as well, he knows what he's doin no doubt there

remember the lang's are reverse flow smokers. check your temps. the fire box end may be the cooler end depending on air flow.
tlcartman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Diesel Dave

Umm yeah I cook on mine regularly. At least on the 60Deluxe that's the hotter end

Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

If Harry Soo can do all four meats on a 18" WSM, you should have no problems, just get your big meats done and in the warming box before you start your small meats.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
tlcartman
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Umm yeah I cook on mine regularly. At least on the 60Deluxe that's the hotter end
i wasnt trying to say you were wrong. just trying to let him know to check his cooker to be sure.

the key is you use yours regularly, and he is just getting his. i am sure you can set your your airflow blindfolded in the dark. i am sure once he gets his and gets used to it. he will be able to do the same thing. when we cook on the 84 there is less than 10 degrees difference between the two ends.

i apologize for coming off wrong
tlcartman is offline   Reply With Quote