Shakers....

BigBellyBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am looking for new rub shakers, cleanable --durable--fillable--need to hold about a pound...any ideas??
go through too many of the re-used spice shakers, plus I make rub up in a five gal buckets, or when I order ready made from the spice company it comes in 20 pound buckets,
I seen a reaL nice alum shaker, however I can not locate.. I previuosly used a flour shifter, however they just kept breaking or clog up..

Have you considered making one out of a pint or even quart mason jar? I am thinking just put a cap and ring on it. I believe you could drill some holes in the cap and try that. A quart jar might be a pain trying to hold it in your hand.
Just thinking out loud.

Have you considered making one out of a pint or even quart mason jar? I am thinking just put a cap and ring on it. I believe you could drill some holes in the cap and try that. A quart jar might be a pain trying to hold it in your hand.
Just thinking out loud.

I do that I'll see if I can find a picture... the good part is you can remove the drilled lid and put on a canning lid and have it air tight till next time.

There is a company that makes stainless steel covers for mason jars that will do that

this is good stuff, I like the idea of a quick change lid, need to be able to grip the container, I try to always keep one hand dry..
the humidity in the summer clogs the hole and a quick change lid will allow the time to clean them after the day..I try to keep 3 shakers ready/full and fresh lids is a great idea,

We use these and really like them. The 22oz capacity means we don't have to fill them as often. :-D

LINK

EDIT: I drilled out some of the holes so that our bigger spice pieces (pepper flakes, etc) would come through.

The lid from the parmesan cheese containers fit on mason jars. That it what I use and I love it. They make some pretty big mason jars.

I use the glass parmesan cheese shakers. Mostly because when I bought the restaurant the previous owners left a bunch of them. But they are durable and don't clog, so it's been a decent solution. I do think having a slightly bigger shaker would be more efficient though.

Ask any restaurant equipment house for DREDGE shakers, the kind sold to fried chicken joints for flouring their birds. Cheap and work perfectly for rub - often come with several snap-on plastic lids with different sized holes. Clear plastic so you can see the contents inside. HD won't give you crap for reusing containers, and they don't cost much so you can buy a box full and have a shelf full of 'em pre-loaded, and you won't lose any sleep if you crack one.

http://masonjarshoppe.com/shop/acce...sic-country-mason-drinking-jars-with-handles/
9k=
9k=

I bought some large containers of McCormack Montreal spice at a dollar store. Dumped out the stale old spice, loaded em with our rub and thousands of lbs of meat later, they're workin like a charm - ergonomic too

exactly, these work good to start, just the plastic cracks, and I dont buy that small containers to keep in supply of shakers, some of the hints above revealed good ideas !! Picked up some stainless ones and opened the holes..The mason jar idea is real good, except the glass part..using this around the house now

100 would only be 52 dollars ...these look like what the original spices come n, this will work..

Back