Wanting to try stickburning, which one?

ajstrider

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I've been cooking for a couple years now, but only on charcoal and pellets. I have always been fascinated with burning logs and want to give it a try. I'm strictly a backyard cooker and don't cook for very large groups. I was hoping to keep this venture under $1000 but I want a quality smoker. My eyes are on a Yoder Cheyenne with the HMS in it. I've eyeballed the Horizons too but think I prefer the Yoder. The Lang 36 is right there too. Any recommendations from you guys?

I got the Lang 36 original patio for $1095 and I'm very pleased with it. Fortunately for me I didn't have to pay for shipping as Nahunta, Ga. is leass than an hour and a half drive from my house. One thing I was set on getting was reverse flow.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the Yoder, Lang or a Shirley custom. Do your homework and decide if you want to do reverse flow or regular flow/tuning plates. That will change your options as well. Depending on what kind of footprint you want, a vertical stick burner like Peeps' is an option as well.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171324

Academy sells a decent starter stickburner too.. for around 500.00 I don't know what it is called though

Personally I'd say go for a less expensive one to start out and see if you like the duty of tending a stick burner. It will never be a set it and forget it. but it is fun for those of us who have them. I'd not go any other route personally. But I have time for it so it works well for me

ON EDIT: You'll also need to make sure you have a place to get/store your wood too

I have a Lang 36 Patio...Its a great cooker...I wouldn't trade it for anything mentioned...Its also has great re-sell value, if you find out that stick burning isn't your thing...

Get heavy metal and you can loose....Good luck!

The build quality of a Yoder is better than a Horizon. Plus from a service standpoint, Yoder is fantastic about contacting you back and doing what they say. I have had issues with Horizon in the past.

So better build quality and better service, Yoder hands down.

shirleyfabrication.com

Call Paul and see what he can do for ya!

I have also heard these gentlemen make fine smokers :becky:. But you can also keep an eye out on Craigslist if you haven't already. There are always stick burners for a decent price around me and if you end up not liking it then just sell it on CL.

10-4 0n the Yoder Hands Down over Horizon..... I'll be a respectful and not mention my reason for saying so...... Service and Quality hands down on the Yoder and If they Tell you they are going to do something they are good on their word with my experience with Byron and the Folks at Yoder....

It did not take me long to get my Durango tuned in and the first cook came out amazing..... Definitely worth the money... And I will never have to make a step up later on....As I would have if I went to lesser smoker........

I say get what you want and get something that will last forever.

Keep us posted on what you decide to get.

Agree with the Craigslist recommendation if you want to stay below 1 grand. Brother picked me up a vintage Brinkmann offset built by Oklahoma Joe back in the day. Had been sandblasted and repainted. Looks like new inside and out. Built like a tank. Paid $300.

shirleyfabrication.com

Call Paul and see what he can do for ya!

+1 on what he said. Paul builds a fine a smoker as anyone. And he has the best customer service you will ever encounter. I highly,highly recommend Shirley cookers!

I love my stick burner, but as others have said, you have to stay on top of it. It is not a set and forget.

Another vote for Shirley Fabrication. Paul and Tyler make some mighty fine smokers.

I can not address the other units you are looking at but I have a Lang 36 and it is my favorite cooker. I use the BWS for competitions as it is easier to transport, but for overall results and the "joy of cooking" I like the Lang, but I suspect any good stick burner will provide similar results and provide the same sort of experience--sitting outside with a cooler of cold Heineken's, the iPod going and a good cigar--doesn't get much better.

Back