THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F

FullCurlHunter

First off, I would like to thank all of the members of BBQ Brethren for all of the posts and tips in building their ugly drum smoker. For my first post I wanted to share my recent UDS build so far based on a mix of others designs.

Basis for my build:
I wanted to build a smoker attached to a cart so I could be mobile with the cart, store in my garage and wheel outside or wherever I want to use it. I also wanted a preparation surface and two smoking grates for party smoking. I am also planning on using the BBQ guru with 2 fans to control the pit temp and food temp (my next addition). I originally planned to make the prep surface removable but have it bolted on right now. I may find 1/4" pins to replace the bolts to make it removable for storage purposes.

The drum is a new unlined drum that I purchased from U-Line (I know I cheated as I did not want to have to worry about a doing a burn sanding the liner out). The dolly/cart is from Home Depot. I am using 3 22.5" weber cooking grates where 2 will be used to cook and the 3rd has a pizza sheet with holes attached for a heat diffuser. The charcoal basket is a 22.5" weber charcoal grate (17" diameter) and welded a 12" tall sheet of 9 gauge 3/4" flat expanded steel for the basket sides. The ash tray is a 2" deep heavy duty pan.

That said, here is where it is at so far. Basically all built and awaiting seasoning and if I want to remove the 45 degree elbows on the intakes inside for indirect air vs. direct air on the charcoal basket (what is recommended?)

What do you all think of the following:

45 degree elbows on the intake holes inside of the drum to direct the incoming air up into the charcoal basket rather than directly into the walls of the ash pan...will this be to direct of air flow causing too much heat/quicker burning of fuel or is indirect air flow desired?

Is the charcoal basket too big? 12" tall by 17" wide?

Should I have gone with a ash pan that does not have sides or as tall of sides?

I am planning on seasoning by spraying down with vegetable oil and doing a charcoal burn, is this what is recommended? I will also be checking for leak paths on the weber grill…if I have to I may put heat rope on the inside of the lid.

Will the tires melt?

Will the paint on the drum endure the heat of the drum?

Regarding the BBQ guru, I want to go with 2 fans attached to each intake and am wondering if I should go with two 4 cfpm fans or two 10 cfpm fans? I do have the ability to shut the valve if the fans are too powerful. If I close the valves almost all the way it would allow me to limit amount of air entering while the fan is off but valve still open…

Thanks!

Back