Ribs of Vienna

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
I admit, my curiosity got the better of me. I've been searching for the perfect schnitzel and goulash for the better part of a week. I found some outstanding goulash in Bratislava

but have been disappointed in most of the schnitzel. It's not as tender as it used to be and there seems to be more of a preference for a crispy coating. I've always been partial to the softer, more delicate coating. Anyway, I was looking for a doner kebab actually, but wasn't having any luck, when I found this sign.

I have never heard of ribs being sold by the meter before. Definitely I can see the advantage of buying it in Europe as you get an extra 10% this way. I decided to give it a shot. I ordered their specialty "Viennese style," having no idea what that would be. I also didn't know what to expect. Would a meter of ribs be 6 ribs lined end to end? :noidea: I must admit that I was quite surprised to get this:

Yeah, that is three very thin racks of spareribs (or one rack cut into thirds). How were they? Well, I've had a lot of ribs in many places. I've had them cooked all different ways, including cooked fast (as these were). If the pork is good (or if they're babybacks), you can get away with this. In Spain, I've had quickly grilled spare ribs that were oh so tender and juicy, but the pork there is fabulous. I expected it would be similar here, but unfortunately, these were quite tough. That didn't stop me from eating them though. I believe this and a half liter of Edelweissen ran 18 euros, which is a pretty decent price. Oh, yeah, that is ketchup and mayo as dipping sauces.

If you want good schnitzel, you really don't have to go any further than Galveston...

Deutschland then. Schwaben. Had some excellent stuff outside Stuttgart. But that was a LONG time ago.

Wow, I was sort of hoping that was BBQ sauce and horseradish and not mayo and ketchup. That is an interesting way of serving ribs though. I wonder what my market potentials are for selling ribs by the meter?

Is that steamed bread?

Deutschland then. Schwaben. Had some excellent stuff outside Stuttgart. But that was a LONG time ago.

I've had really good schnitzel in Vienna, but that was several years ago also and I'm too full of ribs from lunch to go out searching again. The hotel just brought me some goose spread for St. Martins Day apparently and that took the edge off it for me. Have to wait next time for schnitzel I guess. Stupid ribs. :tsk:

Wow, I was sort of hoping that was BBQ sauce and horseradish and not mayo and ketchup. That is an interesting way of serving ribs though. I wonder what my market potentials are for selling ribs by the meter?

I think you'd be much better off selling by the yard. You'd cut your expenses by 10%. :thumb:

Is that steamed bread?

Yes, that is steamed bread. I've had it several times on previous trips many years ago, and always wondered how they cooked it. Having made various sorts of dumplings, I figured it was steamed, but asked to make sure. It is very similar to the steamed rolls stuffed with pork. It even seems slightly sweet. It is perfect for goulash. I never realized how many different types of goulash there are. I popped into a supermarket thinking I would get some paprika and check out the spices, and they had those already mixed packages. They had about five different styles. Unfortunately, the menus are not so forthcoming.

Makes perfect sense to me. The best way to cover crappy food is dip it in ketchup and mayo. My kids do that with chicken nuggets all the time.

Maybe someone should try it with a Mc Rib and see how that works.

Mayo + ketchup = golden!

But that's not regular ketchup?
I see some thingies in there.

Back