MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Default first cook on new lonestargrillz insulated smoker (PrOn)

I just finished my first cook on my new Lonestargrillz vertical insulated smoker. It was a very windy day in the mid 50"s so it wasnt too bad outside. I decided to do a couple racks of baby backs and a rack of spares. Cooker came up to temperature pretty easy and held solid at 225. I played around with the air intake and exhaust dampers a bit just to experiment. And could get the temp up and down at will. I do not have a guru yet. I put a 18lb bag of walmart brand charcoal in with about 3-4 small fist sized chunks of hickory and pecan. I did fill the water pan and then about half way through I drained it to see what kind of difference it made in temp. It only went up from 225 to about 300 at the hotest. I was however choking it down too. I kinda had 2 goals. The first was to see what would happen, the second was it was 10pm and we were starving so I wanted to finish them up! I ended up pulling the ribs sooner than I like because we were ready to eat. But overall it was a good first run. Definitely not my best ribs but hey, its a new smoker. I still have some learning to do but Im excited about it. BTW, at 5 am the next morning the temp was still at almost 190 with the dampers wide open since about 10:30 the night before. I had started the smoker at about 6 pm. Pretty efficient in my book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs on the smoker.jpg (51.9 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg ribs 2.jpg (54.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg ribs!.jpg (36.8 KB, 309 views)

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice Ribs look Great
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Concept Que
On the road to being a farker

They look great!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
peeps

Ribs look great and it sounds like that rig is gonna do you well! Congrats, again!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the comments. Like I said, I pulled them a little early but overall they were great.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

looks good. glad the unit worked out for you and sounds great that you can easily control temps- why waste cash on a guru if you can control tems without it on your first smoke--

for me, just more stuff to set up before you get to the real fun of actually cooking. Plus..by the time its eating time for me..I have normally had a few too many brews and dont want to be outside looking for stuff I need to pick up before the end of the night...I dont even really use my maverick anymore as I now know the smoker well and dont have to get up every 20 minues to look at the therm. temp

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You did good .....
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Very nice.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks great.

How is the temp from top to bottom? Pretty close?

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

I didnt check. I was kinda pressed for time and it was getting dark on me. Not a very well planned cook but I couldnt wait. I had to cook something. Once I get a free saturday I plan on doing some pork butt and do some temp checks.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA

Glad to hear you are happy with your new cooker. I look forward to reading about your future cooks.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Congrats...

I just got a different Lonestar but I'm sure the high quality of build is the same...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

looks nice

Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Very impressive hold time...Did you have any challenges getting the pit up to temp with a full water bath?

Thanks,
SM

Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Looks good. That's how it goes sometimes when everyone is saying hey when's the food gonna be done.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote