Just came back from Norway...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just returned from a four day trip to Oslo, Norway to visit our corporate HQ. Very interesting place! I stayed in the central area of Oslo with 5 others from the states. No BBQ, but plenty of good food and beer! We tried a variety of native dishes that were pretty good...

Brunost - A Norwegian cheese. It is brown in color and slightly sweet. Good stuff!

Boknafisk - A stek made with half-dried cod, potatoes, carrots, butter and bacon.

Reindeer - I had reindeer stew and reindeer steak. It was very good and temder. It was less gamey than venison.

Whale - Yeah, there's some politcal issues here, but Norway is one of two places in the world where you can buy whale meat. Our waitress reminded us that a whale is a mammal, not a fish, so don't expect to be eating fish. She was right. It was served as a steak and was very lean and tender. As far as flavor, it was a stronger flavor than beef. Similar to buffalo, I guess. It was very good, too!

I didn't get to do much sightseeing, but what i saw of Oslo was nice and clean. The people were all very nice and 95% of them spoke english, so getting around wasn't a problem. I will probably go back next spring and now that I know what to expect I'll try to take my wife and add on a few extra days.

That is fantastic.
Do you know how much they charge per pound for whale meat?
I never thought about the taste other than fishy maybe.
Sounds like you had a good trip.

I'm just guessing that my calf would be much fattier... :shock:

Fatdad, I didn't look at meat prices, but the whale steak dinner was 299 Kroner, which is approximately $40 US. But, food and drink is very expensive over there. The other meals we ate that night were all priced between 250 and 350 kroner, so the whale was in the middle of the range. A .5 liter beer is typically $10 US. The locals buy liquor in the stores and get smashed at home and then hit the clubs!

I hate the farking Kroner

We got holdings (company, not me personally) in Kroner.

It'd be funny if you wnet to our company there and I coulda saved you the trip ;)

Whale meat! Cool, you're the first I know to have tried it.

Glad you had such a good trip!

Back