MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Freezing Raw Meatloaf

This really isn't applicable to me until the Spring when the comp season starts again, but how long can you freeze a prepared but raw meatloaf?

Would 2 or 3 weeks be cool?

I'm thinking that it would make life easier to have as much prepared as possible ahead of time for team meals and snacks. If I can make 10 or so mini-loafs and then just defrost them and put them on the smoker, that would help.

Thanks,

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Depends on how you freeze them, IMO.

If you vacuum seal the with something like a Foodsaver, you would probably be fine.

Air is the enemy when freezing food. You have to suck all the air out of any food that contains water, which is is almost all food, before you freeze it. Otherwise, it will freezer burn.

If you vacuum seal the meat loafs, you should be fine for months, so a few weeks is nothing.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with CD. I think I would go with disposable mini loaf pans, throw a few in a foodsaver and suck n' seal. You won't have any issues.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
buccaneer

Me three^

Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I do this all the time with meatballs, usually when I have some odd pieces left over from whatever I'm trimming (deer, pork, beef, all mixed up, etc.). I make a huge batch of meatballs put them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper (not touching) and stick them in the freezer. Once they are frozen (so they won't stick together then) I throw them into ziplocks and try to push most of the air out (I have a vacuum sealer, but I don't bother for these). They last forever. Months. Even if you get some ice forming on them, it easily comes off and I have never had them freezer burn.

If you are looking for a quick hearty meal they fry up in no time. I just pull out whatever I want and put them in a cast iron skillet with a little oil. Don't even thaw them. Works great. You could easily do the same with mini meatloaf, but you would probably have to thaw before you cook as they would probably be too thick to throw on frozen.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

i had one vac sealed, we ate it last sunday (10-13). it had a seal date written on it of 8-11-13, all was good.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Jason TQ

I try to not let frozen meat go longer than 6 months, but technically frozen food is safe indefinitely. Just the longer you let it go the more the quality deteriorates.