Hello from Grand Junction

KC Transplant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A KC transplant here. I've lived in KC for the last 18 years and got hooked on Que. I've used few different smokers, but had to leave my last smoker behind when I moved. First thing I had to do out here is build a UDS and get smoking. I'm able to score some 16" pipe from my brother in law who snags scraps from the oil fields. I got a few lengths to start on another smoker and I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of questions, starting now. I'm wanting to build a reverse flow and in an attempt to save money I'm thinking about using a strip cut out of pipe for the baffle plate. I can get all the pipe I want for free vs buying 1/4" plate. I figure the rounded pipe would give me a hot spot down the middle and I'll probably mount it a little lower to make up for the rounded top. Maybe weld some fins on the underside or even just weld some beads in a V shape to try to draw some heat to the sides. Any advice on whether this is a bad idea and I should just buy some plate or not would be greatly appreciated

Welcome aboard KC Transplant, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

Just ask any questions you might have and before you know it the search feature at the bottom will work for you...

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome aboard KC Transplant!

Back