• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Utility vs Camper trailer

blackstrapbbq

Reaction score
I've started to plan my trailer for next season and I'm looking for some input from you guys as to which direction to go in.

I can buy a used empty enclosed 16' utility trailer for about $3,000 then add sinks, cabinets, futon etc. but I've noticed the used trailer market is flooded with in decent shape camper trailers from $500-$1500

My thinking is I could strip a camper but it'll still have basic plumbing and electrical I can work with.

If anyone with experience in this could chime in I'd greatly appreciate it!

It sounds like you are going to have a project on your hands either way :-D

I would say start with a blank canvas so you can build it out the way that you want it.

But... There are options out there that have been built out already. Did you see this one in the General For Sale section?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171118

It's finished on the inside with a separate smoker area. It already has electric and water.

There was a similar thread to this one a few months back, about pre-built toyhauler, or custom built cargo trailer. The overwhelming consensus was toy hauler...precisely because it comes with plumbing/hvac/etc already in place. I would think it really depends on what you want to do with it though, in terms of competing or vending or both.

There was a similar thread to this one a few months back, about pre-built toyhauler, or custom built cargo trailer. The overwhelming consensus was toy hauler...precisely because it comes with plumbing/hvac/etc already in place. I would think it really depends on what you want to do with it though, in terms of competing or vending or both.

The difference here is that Blackstrap was talking about a regular camping trailer and gutting it and then building it out himself. If a pre-built toy hauler is an option I would go that route, too.

Thanks Ron, I was tempted to put an offer on that trailer but I think financially I have to build it myself slowly over the winter. If I went cargo trailer it's pretty close to how I build it.

I think I'd use it strictly for competing so perhaps customizing a cheap camper is the way to go.

Thanks Ron, I was tempted to put an offer on that trailer but I think financially I have to build it myself slowly over the winter. If I went cargo trailer it's pretty close to how I build it.

I think I'd use it strictly for competing so perhaps customizing a cheap camper is the way to go.

I understand, but take a look at what you'll end up spending total, and include your labor, and I think you will end up with more cash out of pocket than you think. Projects tend to do that :-D

My goal for next season is not have to unload anything or move anything. Just back the trailer in the spot and we are ready to go, beside some small stuff and a tent. I would say by a landscape trailer and mount everything around it so you can work right off the ground. Get a pop up or tent large enough to cover plus some other coverage to sit under and you are money!

I'm on my 2nd camper trailer this year. Totally gutted the first one as it was older then sold it for something slightly larger that I really haven't modded that much. All I've done on the new one was take out the top part of the couch you sit and that is where my 6ft table goes to do all the prep work. There isn't a ton of room for much more than 2 people in the "prep" area, but it works well and I still have the bed and full bathroom which the fiance likes.

If you are considering a camper have you though about how you will move your cookers around since the back don't drop? Unless you are talking toy hauler. Or maybe you have smaller cookers that go in the back of a truck. I can't have larger cookers with the camper setup, but knew it would be that way.

My goal for next season is not have to unload anything or move anything. Just back the trailer in the spot and we are ready to go, beside some small stuff and a tent. I would say by a landscape trailer and mount everything around it so you can work right off the ground. Get a pop up or tent large enough to cover plus some other coverage to sit under and you are money!

I have the same goal on rolling in and out easy and I'd also like to get my wife and daughter to join me next season so competing won't always be time away from them. I'm looking to make it a bit more comfortable so it'll be easier to convince them to join me.

I'm on my 2nd camper trailer this year. Totally gutted the first one as it was older then sold it for something slightly larger that I really haven't modded that much. All I've done on the new one was take out the top part of the couch you sit and that is where my 6ft table goes to do all the prep work. There isn't a ton of room for much more than 2 people in the "prep" area, but it works well and I still have the bed and full bathroom which the fiance likes.

If you are considering a camper have you though about how you will move your cookers around since the back don't drop? Unless you are talking toy hauler. Or maybe you have smaller cookers that go in the back of a truck. I can't have larger cookers with the camper setup, but knew it would be that way.

Awesome, thanks for the insite. None of the cheap campers I've seen for sale are toy haulers but I'm looking to switch from cooking on one big pit to two little pits for next season

Awesome, thanks for the insite. None of the cheap campers I've seen for sale are toy haulers but I'm looking to switch from cooking on one big pit to two little pits for next season

Yeah I'm still on the search for a cheap toy hauler, but they are hard to come by :becky:. I put both my backwoods in my truck bed and like the smaller 2 cooker setup.

Go with a "work & play" trailer, the best of both worlds

I might 2nd that as well. A few yrs ago WnP had a model called the Take It EZ not sure if they still make it or not but was a good starting point for an almost blank canvas. My thoughts would be make a list of the features no matter how small (ramp vs doors, canopy, hitch weight, floorplan, etc) you'd want to see/use then look at what fits that the most from the start & go that path. I'm sure most toy haulers would be close to that. I'm not sure I'd get a cheap trailer to strip out only to start over as I'm sure it's cheap for a reason (possibly worn out so needing major maint etc)

Work and plays are nice I ordered mine should be here in january. I have a regular camper now but limited what I can cook on. I got the 25 ul toy hauler. Dont know what your budget is but check them out all kinds of options.

Having a toy hauler is pure luxury. My dad has a big Rubicon and at one contest this year, a huge storm blew through. While other teams were holding onto thier ez ups and soaked, we watched the news in HD, had the AC on, and mixed drinks. It was like cheating. Too bad our Q is substandard, cause we were living the highlife!

From strictly a prep/cooking/box building perspective, a cargo trailer is really pretty hard to beat for the money. I have about $2500 invested in a 6x10 trailer, table, tie downs, tool box, lights, etc. The FEC rolls in one side and the table stays setup on the other side with tubs and coolers underneath. I sleep on a cot on the open side, my helper usually sleeps in a tent or goes home if we are close. The wife goes home or to a hotel (I could have a 40' luxury motor coach and she would still opt for the hotel). I don't really see any decent toy haulers below $10K and a regular camper is a pain for hauling pits and everything else.

We gutted a 32' fifth wheel and installed the cabinets, etc into a 28' Gooseneck cargo trailer (pain in the A$$ BTW). The cooker is permanently mounted on the back cooking deck. our set up and load out time is 30 minutes. The advantages are that it sits lower (a lot of these comps are in parks with low tree branches / bridges, etc.) and pulls great. Disadvantage is space. You never have enough room (especially if you have 2 kids with you). If you decide to build / convert a cargo trailer, let me know if you have any questions (you can learn from some of my mistakes).

if women and kids are involved, you better look at the toy hauler as it sounds like creature comforts are number one..mama wont want to sleep in a gutted camper...drop the tailgate, roll out the cookers and tables..and start cooking...and they can take thier "nap" in the front of the toy hauler...

Back