San Antonio BBQ

Soonerman71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in San Antonio for a couple of days and would like some suggestions for the BBQ restaurant that I just can't miss going to. Thanks in advance.

Conger's Smoke Shack, a trailer under an overpass with outside picnic tables. A great food but not a restaurant.
2347 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio, TX 78209 Right at the 410 inner-loop exit to Nacogdoches Rd on right.

If you are visiting Lackland AFB, don't eat at the BBQ place on base. Bad does not begin to describe the food and service we experienced there.

Head Northeast (I-35) to New Braunfels, TX (about 40 miles)
Rudy's BBQ (very good) 936 Loop 337 New Braunfels , TX 78130,
and Coopers (good) 1125 N. Loop 337 New Braunfels, TX 78130.

Going a little more east is Lockhart, TX (about 75 miles) Black's BBQ, Kreuz Market and Barbecue, Smitty's Market and BBQ.

I don't do "Q" in SA the Tex Mex is where it's at.

That's not what he's asking about. How about keeping it on topic or simply not posting for the sake of posting.

Keeping threads on topic is not hard to do if you just try.

Bob

EDIT--Folks, my intent here was not to come across too strong, but to issue more of a reminder. While bringing in another topic into the thread is allowed and within the rules, my main intent was to keep the thread on track. Prior to this, I had already deleted several other posts in other threads that were OT and were derailing the thread that they were in. This thread was originally in QT (hence wanting to keep it on track) and then moved here to the appropriate forum where, it should still remain OT as much as possible. Hope this clears it up.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
I don't do "Q" in SA the Tex Mex is where it's at.

Yes much more good TEX-MEX in and around San Antonio than good BBQ. Barney's Steakhouse has a killer Porterhouse too.

There are many BBQ Restaurants around San Antonio, but our experiences were tasteless, and lacking any recognition of texture. If you want the BBQ take the trip to New Braunfels, it's worth the trip.

You also have Austin which is further North, home of Franklin's. The food is extremely good, but I think it is over-priced due to the popularity and the very L O N G _ line to contend with.

Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo, near Randolph AFB, is very good in my opinion. Real, old-school wood-smoked meat in a funky old building.

100 S Main St, Cibolo, TX
(210) 658-8889

I'm in SA. We are fortunate to be at the hub of some very good BBQ. Rudy's is a local favorite but go to the one out IH10 near Fiesta Texas. Two Brothers is getting better and Barbecue Station on 410 can have good ribs but you have to catch them on a good day. If you have time, go up I35 to Lockhart and try Blacks. You can also run up I35 towards San Marcos and give Hays County BBQ a try - it is right off Wonderworld Drive and I've had a few very good meals there lately.

I really don't know about BBQ in San Antonio proper, but you are within driving distance of many of the BBQ legends in the Texas Hill Country. They are mostly North of SA, closer to Austin. Do you have a car, and some time to do some traveling?

In San Antonio proper, good TexMex is abundant. The Riverwalk is very pretty, and there are some nice places to eat. If you are going soon, it should still be comfortable to sit outside on the Riverwalk.

San Antonio is a very pretty city with a lot of history. I hope you enjoy your visit.

CD

Back