Greetings from Carnation, Washington

ak56

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Been lurking for a while, and decided it was time to introduce myself.

Built a new deck in the backyard this summer, and finally have a nice place to play. Checked over the old Charbroil grill, discovered one burner had rusted through, so rebuilt with new burners and new paint and it works like new again. Even though I have smoked meats on it, I wanted to add a 'real' smoker and started doing my research.

Didn't want too expensive, don't need too big (just me and my wife most of the time) and no plans for competition (other than me vs. meat).

Ruled out gas, electric and pellet (I want to play with fire). Had read about the shortcomings of cheap offset smokers, and the possible mods to them, and had almost ruled them out because I don't have the time (or welder) right now to do all the mods. Then I found a Charbroil Silver on Craigslist, already modified into a reverse flow offset, in good shape, and the mods were well done. Decided to go for it.

Only done a couple of cooks on it, but it cooks pretty evenly from end to end. Did six whole chickens on it this weekend (snug fit), charcoal fire, apple wood for smoke, and they turned out pretty good. Ash wasn't falling through too well out of the charcoal basket, so temps stayed around 245; would have liked hotter for chicken. Basket will be modified before next cook.

Between amazingribs.com and here, I've been learning a lot. Proof you can teach an old dog. Now I need to put it all to practice.

Looking forward to contributing to and learning from this forum. Looks like a great community of people.

Welcome from Arizona! Sounds like you headed in the right direction :thumb:

Welcome aboard ak56!

Sounds like your making good choices. Lots here to learn. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard AK56, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

I hope your modded Charbroil Silver will continue to work well for you.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Thanks for stopping by..

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back