Camping dinner?

Fishin4bass723

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My GF and I are going camping in a few weeks with another couple, and are looking for an idea for a dinner. I am not taking the drum but the couple is bringing an 18.5 weber kettle. I was thinking of doing some pulled pork, but do I have to stay there and babysit the cooker all day or can I set it up for it to just run and come back from hiking and pull it?

Don't leave a cooker unattended at a park...IMO. Do something small H&F after an early afternoon hike.

If you don't want to baby sit you could do hobo stew. Stew meat and vegtables with butter and seasoning wrapped in Aluminum foil next to the fire ring. Just keep rotating it about every 15 minutes. Hour or so dinner is served. Eat it out of the pouch you cooked it in and throw the foil in the fire. No dishes!

It'd sure suck to come back from a hike and the whole campgrounds on fire.......:shock:
I'm pretty sure we could get into trouble leaving an unattended Smoker at a campsite down here - but then again we are in a 10 yr drought and under Burn Bans. But what if a critter or a kid knocked over ur WSm ? :doh:

I've left my UDS and even my Weber Kettle unattended at my house before but I dunno about a campsite....:twitch:

I always liked doing Hobo meals in coals. (chopped chuck patty with onions n tater slices and seasoning quadruple wrapped in Hvy Duty foil- put right in coals and put coals on top too and let it go for 1 hr.)

http://www.southernplate.com/2008/10/hobo-packets-this-weeks-quick-and-easy.html

For camping I usually do steaks, fajitas, or sausages...Spend your time doing the things the park offers instead of tending a smoke.

I was hoping the Brethren would help me decide and I think they have :doh:I didnt even think of others knocking it over. I sure don't want to be the cause of a forest fire, my dad the retired fire chief would kick my arse. Looks like I am going to have to figure something else. Maybe something in the DO.

Plenty of Dutch Oven Dinners!! And HoBo Meals are Good!!

True its just deciding what to cook. I know I am doing a pineapple upsidedown cake for dessert. Just have to figure out what to with it.

I usually try to show up the other couple with the cooking aspect, I have been told I am a backwoods chef.

Get a tripod grill and cook directly over the fire pit. Ribeye steaks, chicken , country style ribs,....what ever.

Cook (steaks or something quick) when you are done hiking IMO. The wind down will be nice and much safer.

Take your grate from your UDS, build your camp fire in their pit, lots and lots of options. I used to cook all the time over or just off to the side of a camp fire using some local rocks to put the grate at what ever level I could get above the fire. I went thru ALOT of grates as I always forgot them when packing to leave as I would hang them on a nail in a tree for storage while camping. That grate a cast iron skillet, some HD foil and there is not much you can not cook. If you want pulled pork, smoke it at home, and bring and shred it at the camp site, sauce it or what ever, turn the left overs into stew. Heat the cast iron skillet right in the fire before using it to cook, it heats up way faster. Put some food in the cast iron, set on ambers/hot coals, 3 layers of HD foil, put some hot coals on top and now you have a dutch oven. If you have 3 sturdy rods about 4 ft long you can make a tripod like mentioned, using bailing wire or chain, suspend a turkey or chicken above the camp fire, turns out awesome. So many choices, just have to go with what is available.
Yes I used to be a scout master, but I also camped with my parents as a kid and then my kids for many many years.

I'd go the DO route. I'm a scout leader and I've been teaching the scouts all sorts of Dutch oven recipes. Mostly Desserts but we've done roasts, stews, etc. I would recommend maybe some swiss steak. Brown some cheap steaks (round steak or fast fry steaks) in the bottom of the DO with butter, remove from the pot, pour in some canned tomato, green pepper, onion, S&P, add steaks, more tomato, pepper, onion, more steaks (if needed) depending how many your feeding, keep layering. Last time I did it, I had 12 steaks in three layers in a 10" DO, and put coals under and over around 300°. Cook a couple hours till steak is tender. I served with some white rice, but mashed potato, (or baked or boiled) would also be good.

I am from Wisconsin as well and camp quite a lot. I am the one who always wants the meals to be very tasty while some of my other family members tend on the side of easy. I usually opt for a combination of both and do Hobo dinners quite often. If I really want a treat, I will grill BBQ chicken over the fire. I prefer smoking my chicken, but grilling is not too hard to do as long as you don't cook over too hot of a fire.
The leg quarter always turn out excellent, just have to trim the fat off the thighs to reduce flare ups and add your rub. I usually slap some BBQ sauce on just as they temp at 150f and let them finish up to 165f. If you cook them slowly, they won't get all charred and they will be amazing!

I take a small propane burner and always cook a 'Lowland Boil'.
Takes a little more than an hour...
I smell up the whole campground.
Everybody walks by to find out what I'm cooking.

Same rig for a large pot of Chili, Gumbo or Camp Stew.
Same rig for Breakfast Taco's... (Pretty good at night too)

I also like to carry a 30"x20" grill grate to use over a campfire.
A D.O. on the grate draws lots of attention. I always carry one of my Cast Iron Skillets when we camp,
works fantastic on the grate.

I carry my Weber and smoke Chicken Wings... about 1.5 hours.
I grill Steaks and Pork Chops too.

I've done long smokes, but I'd rather just relax or visit when we camp.
Short cooks or smokes are the order of the day for us.

WHATEVER YOU DO... DON'T MAKE IT INTO WORK.

Last edited:
Back