Burnt Ends Help

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need to start practicing with burnt ends. I've never tried it before and have only seen them on TV. I will be doing my first KCBS event next March and if I can make good burnt ends, I would really like to turn some in with my slices. Is it better to seperate the point from the flat and cook them seperately, or remove the point from the flat after cooking and then cube and pan them and return them to the pit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I remove after cooking the flat and then return to the pit to cook up the burnt ends while the flat is resting and then cube them up and dredge thru au jus then turn in

I cook separately and trim off almost all fat from the point. I foil the point when the bark is set, and cook in the foil until its tender. Then I xube the point and continue cooking in the foil until they are "Melt in your mouth" tender. Then its back onto the cooker un foiled and glazed with a 2-1 sauce/foil juice mixture and left until the sauce sets but with ABSOLUTELY NO ADDITIONAL SMOKE WOOD! They will soak it up like a sponge. I usually time this so that they go straight from the cooker to the box.

My slices aren't always just right, but my burnt ends almost always come out perfect.

remember though, if you dont feel comfortable with your burnt ends, dont worry. Unless your burnt ends are outta this world, dont put em in the box. Best advice i got about brisket. i always thought you have to put in burnt ends even if they are alright. They need to be great.

Back