Pork question, illegal or not???

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was at a comp this past weekend and saw a guy pull his pork butt and then stick it in a metal basket and put it back on the smoker for a few minutes with some heavy smoke for additional smoke flavor. I assume this is legal but with the talk about seperating meat and cooking it I wasn't sure. This team actually finished either 1st or 2nd. so definitely something I would like to try if it is ok.

Did he pull it apart or just pull it out of the smoker? We use the same word for both so I want to be sure.

If he pulled it apart and then put it back in I believe that is illegal right now.

Here is the 2013 rule...

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall
be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the
meat once separated be returned to a cooker

I added the bold. It doesn't say that it can't be cook further, it say it can't be returned to the smoker under any circumstances.

He never specified if it was KCBS either. It could have been SCBA (Where you can pull and reheat). There was an SCBA event this weekend up near Charlotte.

well, I'm not going to say which contest and I'm not going to point fingers because I really don't want to cause any issues. I thought it seemed like a really good idea when they did it and I was really considering doing it myself when I saw it since my pork scores are pretty terrible. If it is illegal then I definitely won't do it. Thanks for the info guys.

Sorry some clarifications after re-reading the above posts:
yes, they pulled and chopped the pork and then put it back on the smoker
yes, this was a KCBS contest.

Last edited:
well, I'm not going to say which contest and I'm not going to point fingers because I really don't want to cause any issues. I thought it seemed like a really good idea when they did it and I was really considering doing it myself when I saw it since my pork scores are pretty terrible. If it is illegal then I definitely won't do it. Thanks for the info guys.

Ah come on now. People are gonna keep prying when you provide additional ambiguous information like this.

figure out the contest and it's one of two teams, per the OP.

I have seen teams - after wrapping - put their butts back on the smoker to firm up the bark some but never to add more smoke to the meat. I wonder what it could actually do since after 145 degrees (roughly) it is not taking on any more smoke.

You think they might have been warming it up some?

I have seen teams - after wrapping - put their butts back on the smoker to firm up the bark some but never to add more smoke to the meat. I wonder what it could actually do since after 145 degrees (roughly) it is not taking on any more smoke.

You think they might have been warming it up some?

145 is just the approximate temp that a smoke ring stops forming, meat will continue to "take on smoke" often to a bad end, but at the point the chemical reaction that creates a smoke ring is done. But since judges aren't supposed to take a smoke ring into acct. shouldn't matter! You could definitely have too much smoke though!

Could those butts may have been for the Peoples Choice entry which usually is not part of the KCBS sanction?

Very well could have been. I can't remember the time that they were doing it so I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and say that was their peoples choice entry.

Guys, I really didn't want to start this in an effort to try and "out" a team. I just thought it looked like a really good idea and was wondering if it was ok for me to try it.

Turning in chopped pork got either first or second?

If this really happened, and you aren't just trying to stir something up, you are just as much a piece of work for posting it here and not doing the right thing yourself by reporting it properly.

Turning in chopped pork got either first or second?

If this really happened, and you aren't just trying to stir something up, you are just as much a piece of work for posting it here and not doing the right thing yourself by reporting it properly.

Again, sorry guys. I wasn't clear on the rules and at the time thought it was a really good idea. I was really asking because I wanted to try it at the next comp. it wasn't until I thought about it the last couple of days that I thought I should check to see if it was allowed or not. I'm fairly new to this game and admittedly haven't really worked to understand the rules as I should have. if that makes me a piece of work then so be it.

When you get to the next comp, find the head judge, explain in detail the process you want to execute on the pork, and they can tell you if it is OK or not. So then, if another team sees you doing it and tells the judges, you have already cleared your process with the judges.

Back