MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
J-Rod no that's not me. But next time you're out this way let me know. We'll have to get together. And thanks I think it will be a nice one.
Cool will do. Keep us updated!

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Got a little more done today. Cut the end of the tank for the firebox to fit in.
This was a bit of a challenge. I started by leveling down from the top to get center of the bottom. Then with a cut off wheel on the grinder, cut along the seam line on the inside of the tank. Figured that would be the best guide for a good straight cut. Then to figure the cut across the round end of the tank, this wasn't all that easy and I got close on my first attempt. Had to make a couple more small leveling cuts but it worked out. I have a few spots to weld up as I over cut just a bit. But still a tight fit fro the plate to slide through. Here's some pics from today.

The tank cut out

Here's the test fit of the firebox/plate into the tank

And a view of the plate inside the tank

If anyone has any suggestions or comments please toss em out here. It's my first build so if there's anything I'd appreciate it.
I will be drilling a hole for a drain pipe in this before final installation.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

That is coming together really nice. I think your RF baffle is gonna work great. You have probably thought of it but a piece of 1/2"-1" flat stock welded to the end of the baffle will act like a dam and force drippings into your drain.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Diesel Dave

Thanks my friend
I was thinking that too.
Got a couple pieces laying around.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That thang is lookin quite fine!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

You have some great concepts going there, I like it and I'm taking notes for my build!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Diesel Dave

Thanks guys.
JB, the cut for the fire box was a tricky part for me. If I were going to do this again, I'd borrow my buddies portable ban saw. Getting the horizontal cut right was a bugger.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this thing cooks

Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Diesel Dave

Had a bit of time today and did a little bit on the smoker.
Here is the back of the firebox cut out to let the smoke in under the RF plate

And while I had the plasma cutter out figured I'd get the vent cut in and placed too.

This pipe is a 6 5/8" o.d. according to the calculator this will give me proper air flow.
Now for my son to get home and do some welding so we can get this thing finished and with some hope cook on it next weekend........

Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

looking good

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Diesel Dave

Thanks I'm really enjoying doing this build with my son

Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Can't wait for the end product!! That's gonna make a lot memories and make the bond between you two stronger!!

Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Awesome start brother!!!! Wonderful that you are getting your son involved in it you will never regret it and the two of you are building fond memories. You will be cooking on that for many a year and so will your son. Kudos to the both of you!!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
Diesel Dave

Thank you both, my son and I haven't been together for a lot if his life. ...Exwife.....

But you guys are spot on, this is really bringing us closer and he asked to be part of the comp team I've got started and I love it!!!!! NEVER have I felt so good about Q'n and building something, this is the greatest time of my life

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
Diesel Dave

Managed to get a lot done today. Waiting on parts so.....do something constructive. Works a waste of time hahahaha

Got almost everything welded up today. Just a few more things to do and then some grinding and paint.

Here's a couple pics of my son Ty welding on the smoker.

And here's how she looks at the end of today. We could have got a bit more done but he was whining about being hungry......like he misses out on meals lol

Thanks for checkin in and following this build

Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

nice. can't wait to see it painted and cookin.