Grilled banana split pie

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
I made a pie for the throwdown and I figure I'll share it with Q-Talk as well. I decided to go with go with tickling one's sweet tooth. In the back of my mind for a few days, I went through various permutations of fruits, puddings, jams, preserves, crusts, crumb toppings, prickly pear cactus, etc... Then it hit me on the way home from work: grilled banana split.

First off, the players in this cook
75zp.jpg

During my brainstorming, I read that grilling fruit will intensify the flavor. I figured, what the heck; sounds like a good idea to me.
sflm.jpg

Although the other fruit is grilling, it's the strawberries that are sweating.
gb24.jpg

Once everything finished grilling, everything went into the pie crust (bananas, pineapple, strawberries, chocolate chips, and cherries). Now, I admit I did not make my own pie crust. I'm saving that as an exercise for later. Then again, the only role it is playing to hold together all of the sweet goodness. :grin:
958l.jpg

Fold the crust up and it is ready for the grill.
oba2.jpg

Onto the grill it goes (sorry about the picture but I ran out of daylight)
odgq.jpg

30 minutes later, it is ready
9c3y.jpg

i8cg.jpg

I cannot see any other way for this pie to be served other than ala mode. Add a scoop of ice cream and voila.
hkjv.jpg

The pie was a big hit with the wife (unfortunately, the kids were in bed when I finished it; school night). Grilling the fruit had a big impact on the flavor of the pie. It certainly something that I am going to make again in the future.

Back