Boston Butt question..

NeilH

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Whats the best temp to cook a bone in butt at and whats the internal temp to take off the smoker to get pulled pork?

(Will be using a 18.5 WSM)

250* +/ - 25 * allows for better rendering than higher temp. Lower temp takes longer . Put in a paper grocery sack or use plain butcher paper wrap at 165*. Take off at 200* +/- 5* depending on bone pull. let it rest in the paper for an hour.

Whats the best temp to cook a bone in butt at and whats the internal temp to take off the smoker to get pulled pork?

(Will be using a 18.5 WSM)

Trying not to sound like a jerk...

You're going to get 100 different answers on what temp to cook it at.

What you'll get as a pretty standard answer...you don't cook to Internal Temp (IT). You cook to feel. When you stick a probe in it and it feels like jelly or melted butter, it's done. Probe several places. When the bone wiggles free easily, it's done.

I start probing/checking for doneness when the IT hits about 192.
Some are done mid 190's, some are done early 200's, each animal and cut is different.

I prefer slow and low. 220 to 240 degrees. 8 to 12 hours (depending on the size of the butt). Trim fat cap to 1/4"...and fat cap down.

All of the above advise is Good brother Neil. Just remember, DO NOT be in a hurry or you'll have 'Hog Hoof' rather then Nice, Tender 'Hog Que'.

For example, last Sunday I smoked a 11 # bone-in Butt and it took 12 hours to 'Get Right'. Time consuming? Yes, Worth the wait?.............OH YEAH!......

I like to see 200 to 210 F on a instant read thermo and it probes tender.

When done, sprinkle it with the sauce of your choice. Myself and my Sweetie Pie really like a little Scott's sauce made right here in OUR beautiful state of NC - Goldsboro. Get it at Food Lion, Harris-Teeter, etc. or on-line at:

www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com

Enjoy, and Most Important........Have Fun!....................:biggrin1:

I normally cook mine at around 300 deg. No need to mess with a thermometer cook it until the bone wiggles loose. wrap it rest it 2 hrs pull it. I cooked one on the OTS on Mon 8.5 lber took 6 hrs.

All of the above advise is Good brother Neil. Just remember, DO NOT be in a hurry or you'll have 'Hog Hoof' rather then Nice, Tender 'Hog Que'.

For example, last Sunday I smoked a 11 # bone-in Butt and it took 12 hours to 'Get Right'. Time consuming? Yes, Worth the wait?.............OH YEAH!......

I like to see 200 to 210 F on a instant read thermo and it probes tender.

When done, sprinkle it with the sauce of your choice. Myself and my Sweetie Pie really like a little Scott's sauce made right here in OUR beautiful state of NC - Goldsboro. Get it at Food Lion, Harris-Teeter, etc. or on-line at:

www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com

Enjoy, and Most Important........Have Fun!....................:biggrin1:
Hey Bro, being that I'm from salisbury, (in wilmington now) I go thru a bottle of that stuff once a month. I try it on anything. What temp did you cook yours at for a 12 hour cook?

Thanks for the answers so far, I figured everyone did it different.

The good news is that pork butt is one of the easiest things to cook. Low and slow; hot and fast... doesn't matter. It is very forgiving.

I cook mine at ~250 for about an hour per pound. No need to stress over it.

As mentioned earlier, do a probe test, or wiggle the bone to see if it is loose. Or do both. I find that the butts are pretty consistently ready once they get to 200 internal temp.

At that point, I pull the butt from the smoker, put it in a pan, cover with foil, put it in a cooler (or wrap with towels), and let it rest for an hour or so.

After that, enjoy! :becky:

I did an 8lb pork butt at 350 on my Weber Performer, it finished in 5 hours. I did have to wrap it in foil because the bark was starting to get too dark for my taste, and the outside was getting dried out so i spritzed it before I wrapped it.

Here is my cook thread on the Hot and Fast pork butt.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168209

i'm a 250-275 guy. 198 internal temp usually. As long as you keep it sub 300, you shouldn't have an issue with burning so skip the foil, much better bark.

what they all said.

i like to cook everything at 275. 8# butts i go 4-5 hours with smoke IT of 150-160, then foil. temp again in 2 hours, like to start checking bone at 190. tent for 115-20min then foil to cooler for a while. its typically an 8 hour cook with 2 hour rest.

Hey Bro, being that I'm from salisbury, (in wilmington now) I go thru a bottle of that stuff once a month. I try it on anything. What temp did you cook yours at for a 12 hour cook?
Between 210 and 240 F, never above 250. My smoker temp varies with the wind and outside temp because I use a Really Old Char-Griller that I modified.

However, it really doesn't matter what cooker/smoker you're using. Heck, I've tasted GREAT HOG that was cooked in a Galvanized Trash Can! Most important is to Learn how your Weber runs/works and you'll get the hang of it.

I have to refuel mine about every 3 hours which gives me the chance to 'Eye-Ball' the Hog and see if the fat is dripping out 'Nice'.

Some folks ask, 'What do I do during the long cookin' process'? Simple Answer: Enjoy a Adult Beverage!............:-D

Have Fun and Enjoy Your 'Que' .............:becky:

Between 210 and 240 F, never above 250. My smoker temp varies with the wind and outside temp because I use a Really Old Char-Griller that I modified.

However, it really doesn't matter what cooker/smoker you're using. Heck, I've tasted GREAT HOG that was cooked in a Galvanized Trash Can! Most important is to Learn how your Weber runs/works and you'll get the hang of it.

I have to refuel mine about every 3 hours which gives me the chance to 'Eye-Ball' the Hog and see if the fat is dripping out 'Nice'.

Some folks ask, 'What do I do during the long cookin' process'? Simple Answer: Enjoy a Adult Beverage!............:-D

Have Fun and Enjoy Your 'Que' .............:becky:
Definitely. I'm gonna go thru a 12 pack without trying.

Well Nieil, looks like you have all the right advice already. Let us know how you decide to do it, and post some pron when yur done

KC

I like to cook'em at 300-325*.

At those temps it will plow right through the stall.

I use the bone wiggle test. But I can tell you they always go to at least 200* IT.

When you start cooking at higher temps, just be sure your rub isn't going to burn up.
When we use brown sugar in our own rub, it burns up at about 275 or so.
Turbinado doesn't burn at higher temps... Something to keep in mind.

Yep, when I use sugar in a rub, it's always turbinado. I like to cook in the 300-325 range too. Great results, less time.

Neil,

If you are monitoring the internal temp (and it sounds like you are), don't let the "stall" get to you. Most of the time, the internal temp will rise to a point and then just sit there. Nothing is wrong, just push through it - the temps will start going back up soon enough. Wrapping in foil will help reduce the stall time if you are in a hurry, but, as others have mentioned, this is debatable.

For pulled meat, I go to at least 195, but, as said, everybutty is different.

(Sheesh - bad pun - I can't believe I just wrote that)

Alex

Neil,

If you are monitoring the internal temp (and it sounds like you are), don't let the "stall" get to you. Most of the time, the internal temp will rise to a point and then just sit there. Nothing is wrong, just push through it - the temps will start going back up soon enough. Wrapping in foil will help reduce the stall time if you are in a hurry, but, as others have mentioned, this is debatable.

For pulled meat, I go to at least 195, but, as said, everybutty is different.

(Sheesh - bad pun - I can't believe I just wrote that)

Alex
Speaking of "stall," how long does this usually last?
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Neil, what they've all said above is good advice, but I think they're missing one key piece. That is: your smoker will have a natural temperature zone that it just dials-in on, holds easily, and frankly puts out sweeeeet blue smoke. Any other temperatures are usually forced and the farther from its sweet spot the farther from perfect sweet blue you'll be.

Some smokers dial-in around that 230-250 range, mine likes 250-270 better, others like it a little hotter. Honestly, it's all good. Let 'er find 'er temp and go with the flow (IMHO).

Stall is longer the lower your cook temps, and shorter the hotter. Some like to power through that stall, but I like it to go through it in its own time, to render as much fat as possible/reasonable. Also, each piece of meat (assuming same temperature) goes through it differently. More often than not, in a 9 hour cook, the stall is probably 4 hours or more...

Back