MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

Default Electric mod on a Brinkman Gourmet

Bruno gave me an electric element to try on my Brinkman Gourmet smoker. It's the green one with the dorr on the side. Anyway the elemet unit sits on a metal disk. It say's on the box that it is for the Brinkman and the Cajun Cooker with the open bottom. My Gourmet does not have the open bottom. It has the bottom with legs little short legs, then another pan that set in the bottom that has quarter size holes around the inside towards the top lip and slits in the bottom for air flow as there is a space between this and the bottom piece. There is a grate for the coals that sits on top of the pan with the slits and holes. Anyway I took the metal pan with the slits in it and made one of the quarter size holes n the side big enough for me to thread the power cord for the electric element throug it so the element and the disk now sets right in the lip space that the grate sets. Then the cord was threaded through the bottom of the smoker, the part with the legs and out a hole that was already in the center of the bottom. I put the water pan in, top food grate and set my remote thermometer on teh grate with the probe through a potatoe. It's been on now for over an hour and the temp at the probe has been rock steady at 198 degrees.

There is a questions here. Because the disk that the element is mounted to sets exactly where the grate was to sit, and it's now sealed itself from the pan that has the slits and holes for ventalation, am I going to not have enough draft from the bottom to the top? Shoud I drill some holes in the disk that the element sets on to increase draft or is it really necessary?

Anybody have any esperience with this?

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Gourmet leaks like a sieve - draft will NOT be your problem. I used one until the base rusted/rotted out. Or go check out the electric model Gourmet at Lowe's or HD - they are there -- charcoal/electric - not a whole lot of difference.

Go for it - air flow will not be a problem.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

do you have water in the pan?

If so might want to try sterile play sand and foil to hold some heat.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke
do you have water in the pan?

If so might want to try sterile play sand and foil to hold some heat.
I like the way you think.....