WSM not coming above 210ish

FiremanMike

Got Wood.
I did my inaugural burn yesterday with no meat just to make sure I knew how to operate it, today was my first effort at smoking ribs in it. Yesterday I had no problem playing with the vents to get it to go between 210-240, today it was warmed up prior to putting the meat on at about 235, since the meat went on I can't get the dome thermometer over 210ish. All three bottom vents are all the way open, top vent is all the way open..

It was colder yesterday than today..

Tips?

I was planning on pulling the ribs off to foil at 2 hours (babybacks), should I give them longer since it's lower?

Can you give us a little more information. How did you start the fire? What sort of charcoal are you using? Water pan in or out? Do you have a temperature reading at the grate?

im guessing its a coal issue or how you lit it. i always use minion method with at least half a bucket of lit on top

did you let your meat sit out to get to room temp before putting it on? if not this can cause low temp issues until it all catches up..

Sorry all, been a crappy morning and I'm a bit scattered.

Same charcoal as yesterday, minion used both times, 4 fist size pieces of hickory around the ring with 2 smaller pieces of hickory and 2 smaller pieces of apple also around the ring. Water bowl has about 3 quarts today, yesterday it was only 2 quarts, still only about 3/4 full of water.

Temp is starting to come up now, we're running around 235 again, so I may have posted early. Ribs have been on an hour before temp finally came up, how long should I extend my initial 2 hours (was planning on 2-2-1)

Sounds like it just needed some time to come up to temp. Probably due to heating of the water. Also, if you're using some of the left over charcoal from yesterday, do knock the ash down through the charcoal grate.

Don't worry be happy, cook them till they past the toothpick test and the bend test, they'll be done when they're done.

Lukewarm both times, but smoker was at temp before adding the ribs, so I guess I would have assumed that meant the water was warmed as well?

then i would definitely look at fuel. i always run my top vent wide open on my WSM and adjust the bottom vents for control. one other thing how many briquettes did you add in the beginning? i always start with about 8 to 10.

then i would definitely look at fuel. i always run my top vent wide open on my WSM and adjust the bottom vents for control. one other thing how many briquettes did you add in the beginning? i always start with about 8 to 10.

Honestly I'd say probably more today than yesterday, and I had a good flame coming up the chimney when I dumped it as opposed to yesterday.. Maybe that's the issue, is that it came up to temp slower yesterday than today, so the water was actually a bit more stable yesterday..

As for the toothpick/bend test, should it be "like butter" before putting them in foil?

It's gotta be a fuel issue. I use the minion method in my 22.5", full load of coal and then light about 12-15 briquettes and sprinkle over the load of coal. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes for the smoker to come up to 200-225 which is when I put the meat on and dial back the three bottom vents to about 25% open. From there she climbs to about 250-260 and settles in nicely.

My guess is you didn't have enough lit coals initially and it just took longer to get up to temp.

I've had no issues getting my WSM up to 300 degrees and with lump I was able to get it up over 400 degrees.

It's gotta be a fuel issue. I use the minion method in my 22.5", full load of coal and then light about 12-15 briquettes and sprinkle over the load of coal. It usually takes about 25-30 minutes for the smoker to come up to 200-225 which is when I put the meat on and dial back the three bottom vents to about 25% open. From there she climbs to about 250-260 and settles in nicely.

My guess is you didn't have enough lit coals initially and it just took longer to get up to temp.

I've had no issues getting my WSM up to 300 degrees and with lump I was able to get it up over 400 degrees.

I'm just confused because it was at 235 and rising, then I put the ribs on, and it struggled to get above 210 for the next 40 mins or so..

Back