Newbie smoker!

Mikeyduece

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey guys,
I've been researching your site which is amazing. My wife got me a kamado classic for our anniversary and I decided to try some smoked ribs for Memorial Day.
Is all going pretty well but am having a hard time maintaining temp. I'm used to waiting for charcoal to get white for grilling. For smoking do I want to just wait for coals to get at temp then put meat on, or get temp up then come down?
Thanks in advance for your help!

after the flames die down, shut the lid and dial back the vents. You want to bring the temp up very slowly with a kamado type grill. If you go over you will have a tough time getting it back down. I usually light the coals in one place only, but different grills will respond differntly.

Different cooker will be different. Never cooked on a Joe so I don't know if there are any indicators on the vents to note what settings you are at. On my cooker the exhaust is on 1.5 while the intake is on .5 to cook around 250. You always want the exhaust set higher than the intake to allow proper air flow. Fuel type also has an effect. It will take some time to get used to, but once you do you will love it.

After the flames die, I dial the vents back to halfway open until the temp reaches 100 degrees lower than my goal. I then put them closer to the final settings listed above, tweaking them as it comes up slowly. If you try to bring it up too quickly you will likely overshoot.

I have the Vision Kamado Pro Series II and I find that mine settles in nicely at 250 degrees by following these simple steps:
1.) Use lump charcoal only, enough to completely cover the vent holes inside the fire bowl.
2.) Lite 1/2 a Chimney of coals and dump them right in the middle of the bowl.
3.) Once the center of the fire is red hot, add 1 or 2 chunks of your favorite hardwood for flavor.
4.) Set-up the plate setter for indirect heat with a waterpan on top.
5.) Put on the grates and what ever your looking to cook
6.) Close the lid, close the top down to #2
7.) Close the bottoms vents down to #1

Good Luck!
Jed

Back