THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
I am trying to figure out if I can use my Cajun Grill to cook "Santa Maria Style". The space between the charcoal and grill grate is 9". With 8" dampers on both sides. The cooking grate is easy for one person to remove to add coals.
DSC01388.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

Anyone want to set the over/under on how many posts before the "Try it and find out" comment is made.:laugh:
I do plan on trying it and I will report back on the results but in the mean time anyone have thoughts on this.
I have searched here and the web for info and I would welcome some of your opinions. I think it is an open top design with an adjustable grill grate for hot and fast cooking. Other than that are there any essential elements that make up a Santa Maria Grill. I have read comments by fellow Brethren that the cooking grate should have the ability to be lowered below the side walls. Is that a deal breaker or just a nice feature? Do you think the open lid would capture enough smoke to make a difference? Is the flavor profile the most important thing or the cooking style?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

I won't say it. :wink:

Question is, how will you know if you succeed unless you have cooked on a Santa Maria grill?

I won't say it. :wink:

Question is, how will you know if you succeed unless you have cooked on a Santa Maria grill?

Good point.:doh: I guess I won't.:mmph: Maybe I will get opinions as to the chances of my set up duplicating the environment necessary to cook something Santa Maria Style.:cry:

The other side of the coin is I know there are lots of people who say they like Cajun food but have never really had it.:wink:

Looks like you'll have a "reverse" Santa Maria style grill. I mean the charcoal moves, instead of the food. I see no reason that you won't get the same basic results. However, for true Santa Maria style flavor, you need to cook over red oak.

I say go for it. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, but for my money that's pretty close to a SM grill.

Matt

Beef, cooked over red oak embers, simple rub, that is what defines the style. If you go to the Central Coast, you will see all kinds of cookers. Some adjustable, some not. In truth, there never was one type of cooker.

Thanks Matt & landarc I knew cooking on wood was the thing to do but I didn't know about the red oak. That may be a challenge we have tons of live oak but no red oak.

Red oak is preferred, but really, any oak or hard wood will work. I've seen people use almond or mesquite in their SM grill, with great success. But that was all local, where those trees are prevalent. Central California doesn't have red oak (at least not that I know of), so we make due with what we have.

I'm sure whatever wood you use will produce fantastic results. Make sure you post pr0n.

Matt

Okay, to clarify, Red Oak is actually not Red Oak, it is the California Live Oak, called Red Oak by settlers who moved here from the southeast, who saw a live oak with reddish coloring under the leaves and assumed it was Red Oak. It does have a distinct aroma and burn characteristic, it is also useless as lumber. Since you are cooking over embers, and not wood, it really doesn't matter. But, red oak in traditional.

I'm new to SM cooking with only 3 cooks, but I don't see why not. One caution, I built my new grill to have 4ft of adjustment and so far I've averaged needing 2-3ft of that on my 3 cooks but I'm starting with a pretty big oak fire that yeilds 4-6 inches of glowing hot coals. I guess my point is with only 9 inches of adjustment on your Cajun Grill I suppose you will need to mind your fire pretty closely. Good luck & let us know how it works.

Thanks Dave, I thought that would be a limitation. My plan is to start with a smallish bed of coals and have another fire going with coals to replenish with. It's a small cooker so it's not hard to remove the cooking grate to add fuel as needed. I'm going to start with beef that I can do hot and fast.

Several of the cooks I was a part of (hey kid, get more coals!) used a kiln to burn down the wood into coals, and a cooker, that the coals were shoveled in to, this was a way of keeping the cooker cooking, while new coals were added along the way. It worked great.

most santa maria style cookers are so a lot of meat can be slowly grilled over oak but othe wood can be used. those cookers got that name and its here to stay. but you can use just about anything that gets the coals further away from the meat than usual . usually started high above the coals and then finished near the coals. to be honest almost anyway you want to do it is fine.

Back