Greetings

gouldina

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello all, I'm new here too. I'm from Wales in the UK. Yesterday I took delivery of a Vision Grills Kamado which seems a pretty awesome piece of kit. I won't have a chance to cook on it until tomorrow which is a bit of shame as it's a beautiful day here and tomorrow isn't supposed to be that great - typical Bank Holiday weather I guess.

I've got a shoulder of lamb with a spice rub on it marinading in the fridge right now. I used cumin, coriander, fennel, pimenton, chilli powder, pink peppercorns, caraway, garlic, lemon zest and muscovado sugar. It looks like this:

8841926109_f02476ae0c_b.jpg

I'm planning on slow cooking it in cider after an initial searing. I will let you know how I get on with my first cook on the massive ceramic beasty.

Regards.

Sounds great. What is your plan for time and temp? Have you fired you grill to see how it works? I would hate to see a nice piece of meat ruined. Good luck.

Sounds great. What is your plan for time and temp? Have you fired you grill to see how it works? I would hate to see a nice piece of meat ruined. Good luck.

Thanks. No I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. My plan was to get up pretty early and have a first attempt before the actual cook. Unfortunately, I ordered a charcoal chimney but it hasn't arrived yet. I may have to resort to the old hair-dryer technique to get it going nice and strong. :doh:

I was thinking about cooking at around 150-170C for around three and a half hours or so but that's purely guesswork at this stage. Maybe using some wood chips wrapped in foil for a bit of smoking at some point. Does that sound reasonable to you? I kind of want it falling off the bone.

Welcome! That's an interesting rub for lamb. Is this your original recipe? Thanks for sharing.

How big is the leg? 150 sounds about right. Do you have thermometer to monitor temp? I would throw the chip directly on the coals and spread them out before you light them. The foil pouch is for gas grill that will ignite the chips right away.

Welcome! That's an interesting rub for lamb. Is this your original recipe? Thanks for sharing.

Yeah. It's loosely based on a recipe I saw in the Telegraph but I've altered a few things. I'll let you know how it pans out and post some pics tomorrow.

How big is the leg? 150 sounds about right. Do you have thermometer to monitor temp? I would throw the chip directly on the coals and spread them out before you light them. The foil pouch is for gas grill that will ignite the chips right away.

The shoulder is about 2 kilos. I don't have a thermometer as yet but I figure that given that it's going to cook in a liquid bath, I can overcook it a little without too much harm being done. I don't require it to be pink in the middle or anything.

Thanks for the advice on the chips. I'll do that. Never done this before so it's virgin territory for me.

Thanks for all the welcomes too. Nice forum.

I do expect more Pron. One picture is never enough. One thing I forgot to mention, when heating your cooker try and close down the dampers before the temp gets to your desired cooking temp. Once you have heated a ceramic cooker up it takes a while to cool down. Also don't add too many lite coals to your cooker, for the same reason as above.

I do expect more Pron. One picture is never enough. One thing I forgot to mention, when heating your cooker try and close down the dampers before the temp gets to your desired cooking temp. Once you have heated a ceramic cooker up it takes a while to cool down. Also don't add too many lite coals to your cooker, for the same reason as above.

Thanks Bryan, that's really helpful, I'll do that. I need all the advice I can get at the moment.

Fired up for the first time

8852172510_1304b4e356_c.jpg

Searing the lamb

8851528765_ab5a072abe_c.jpg

I then put it in the bath of cider with some aromatics (onion, bay) and covered it with foil to slow cook. Got some wood chips in there with it for a smoky flavour and I'm using a heat deflector.

Finding it a bit of a struggle to get the temperature at a steady 170C though. Too hot, too cold. There's quite a long feedback loop so I guess this is where a bit of experience helps.

Looks good so far. Considering one of those Kamados myself. Good luck and welcome.

Thanks westy. I've managed to get it to stabilise on the right temp now and I've just made a cheesy leek coleslaw with toasted sunflower seeds to go with it. I'll probably serve it on a bed of buttered cous cous I think.

Hi and welcome aboard. Congrats on the new cooker. It looks like you are off to a great start with it! :thumb:

Thanks Bob. This is what it looked like when it came out

8855426680_9795564549_c.jpg

Shredded up with some forks

8854790341_ae374a260d_c.jpg

And some chopped mint added

8855384790_0f578b69a0_c.jpg

I made a barbecue sauce as well although I didn't love it that much tbh.

Back