• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Did I ruin my brisket?

halfasian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So last night I threw a 12 pound brisket on the WSM at about midnight. When I fell asleep, my maverick had settled in at 289 on the grill probe. At 6:45 I woke up to my meat Probe reading 205! Probe was in the point. I verified with my thermapen that temps were 195+ through out, all spots I checked, the probe practically fell into the meat.

I pulled the meat, wrapped in foil and towels and put it in the cooler. Problem I am having now is that this isn't to be consumed until 6:30 tonight! I really wasn't expecting this to be done till after noon. Did I overcook it? Is it going to be mush? How do I store the meat for the next 10 hours? Ahhhhhh! Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Take it out of the cooler, bring it to room temp and fridge it. An hour before dinner, pop it in the oven and bring it to 165f internal, slice and serve. Save the juices to add into a jus. IF its over-cooked, the jus will help you out.

BTW, I don't temp the point, always the flat. I bet you're fine.

If you didn't allow it to rest for 30-45 min before you wrapped it most likely it will be pulled beef by then.

Thanks guys. Pulled it out of the cooler. It was only in there for 15 minutes tops. And if its pulled beef then so be it. As long as it doesn't turn to tofu, I think the crowd will be happy.

Thanks for the help guys. Brisket was the worse brisket I have done, but it wasn't bad at all! Just a little dry and the point was a little over cooked. Between a plain white bun with some bbq sauce, everyone seemed pretty happy with the results. Couldn't have done it with out you guys.

I'm confused how it's possible to overcook a point. If the flat wasn't falling apart, the point should be fine. Possibly undercooked?

Oh, and never go by point temp when deciding if a brisket is getting close to done. Temp of point shouldn't matter at all. It's the thickest part of the flat that is important, that's where you want your probe, and also where you want to test for "done" with a pointy object.

El Ropo,
I thought it was odd as well. But the flat didnt fall apart, the point did though. Maybe it had to do with having to reheat it?

I had this happen last year. I ended up just rolling with the "pulled beef" and it was actually pretty damn good. We were aiming for sandwiches so it lended itself well for that

Back