• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rotten Brisket

Meat & Heat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I went to my local meat market the other day and picked up a nice big 16# brisket for a family event today.
Got up @ 5 to start the smoker as dinner will be about 6pm.
Took the brisket out of the package and the smell is horrible, i'm surprised it's not green.
This really pisses me off as now I am on my way to Sam's Club to get another one and dinner will be late.
Oh yeah and it was a $53 dollar brisket.
They will be seeing me later today:evil:

Its normal to have an off smell when opening a cryopacked meat. Did you give it a chance to air out? Did you rinse it off and recheck?
Was the cryo damaged?

Oh yeah, rinsed it off it's the smell of rotting meat.
Just got back from Albertsons with an 11# one and it's on the cooker.
The only other time I have smelled that smell was an elk my buddy killed and we didn't find till the next day and half was bad and already turning green.

That is a pisser for sure.

As for timing, I don't know what cook temps you are using, but I cooked an 11 pounder last week, started at 9:30 a.m. dinner served at 5:30p.m.

It was around 11lbs all trimmed up.......I kept the PBC at around 300* for the cook, Had an IT of 165* at 3 hours, foiled and back on the cooker, probed tender 2-2.5 hours later. Placed in the cooler wrapped with towels to rest for a couple of hours. I started this at ~ 9:30A.M.....dinner on the table by 5:00-5:30, it was great.

KC
PBC Brisket and Ribs w/pRon

That is a pisser for sure.

As for timing, I don't know what cook temps you are using, but I cooked an 11 pounder last week, started at 9:30 a.m. dinner served at 5:30p.m.

It was around 11lbs all trimmed up.......I kept the PBC at around 300* for the cook, Had an IT of 165* at 3 hours, foiled and back on the cooker, probed tender 2-2.5 hours later. Placed in the cooler wrapped with towels to rest for a couple of hours. I started this at ~ 9:30A.M.....dinner on the table by 5:00-5:30, it was great.

KC
PBC Brisket and Ribs w/pRon

Yeah, usually run about 250-275 should be done in time. I like to let them rest in a cooler for at least an hour but more if I have the time.
Just a crappy way to start a cook.

Yea, take it back and don't let them give you any $h1T!! That's quite an inconvenience.

Back