need help with amounts to cook brisket...

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have to cook for a lunch Monday, will a 11 lb packer pre cooked feed 15 people with sides? Or should I chop it for sandwiches?

Thank you

Figure about a 50% yield after trimming and cooking, so that would give you 6 lbs of cooked meat. Most folks figure 1/3 lb per serving, so you would have enough for 18 servings. If you have a mix of men and women, or some children mixed in you're probably fine, but if it is all adult men you may not have enough if some want a second serving.

11 pounds would be dinner in my house wishing it was bigger so we might have leftovers! With 2 teen age boys and a 5year old that eats as much as the teens, my wife hates it we eat and she gains!

Yeah, you prolly want to get another smaller packer to insure you have enough. Another idea is to something cheap like chicken or sausage alongside the brisket. People get a variety of food which is always good.

Either way, we always cook way more than we need and send people home with the rest. Nothing better than see people pack up plates to go. Means they liked your food !

Back