• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So I tried my hand at a turn=in box... feedback please

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I tried building a parsley box last night. It took 3 bunches of parsley and it feels pretty tight to me... I know it will hold up ribs/chicken...

In my mind, building it level seems like the right thing to do since I've read you want your meat sitting on top of the green, not down in the green...

But this looks funny to me... I know the edges need to be tightened up, but give me some honest feedback. I've got my coat of armor on... I can take it for about 14 minutes before I start to cry.

Attachments

• 2013-05-16 20.42.45.jpg
    2013-05-16 20.42.45.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 2013-05-16 20.43.28.jpg
    2013-05-16 20.43.28.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 118
EDIT: I had to build this in the Lid of a tri-container... couldn't find an open box clamshell... I'm thinking the lid is a little shallower than the bottom of a regular clamshell, which should help with the "fro" looking so tall... right? I used all parsley snipped down to about 1 - 1.5" and no lettuce underneath.

will the compartment sections in the bottom of the box press down on the meat? would that even matter?

edit: nevermind, you just answered the question. get out of my head. hahaha.

Since only the meat is supposed to be judged I give you a 2. :razz:

It does look like it needs a haircut, but it is hard to tell without any meat in there. A good site for judging boxes can be found here.

It looks good. Like you said, it is hard to really tell when your box is the wrong depth. I like to have my meat sitting up on top of a level bed as you mentioned. Some come in and fill the space around the meat.

The corners and the edges are crucial because that is what the judges see.

i would think it needs to be dolled up trimmed evenly just do use hedge trimmers

Thanks for the link. All the reading I've done here and I've never heard of that website. Checking it out now, thanks.

I was about to comment that it was awfully full of parsley , but you are right that lid is probably shallower that a regular box. As far as the build it looks really tight and should be fine. Watch out for that stray florette on the left, some judge may take exception to it.

I think it looks good / full but I would drop it about another 1/2 to 1/4 inch. A box that full (IMHO) looks a bit sloppy and tends to push the food up into the lid - mainly the chicken.

Back