Is my set up good for competition ?

peterz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been working on my smokers for some time now. I just would like to ask you guys what u think. Im hoping to comp. sometimes next year.
Any input is welcome.
Thank you

CIMG4471_zpsbc144dea.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• CIMG4471.jpg
    CIMG4471.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I'm guessing that might work.

Brisket and butts on the mutated 22.5 and ribs and chicken on the 18.5?

I cook on WSMs in comps too, one for each meat. Works well for me.

I'm with Harbormaster. That ought to work out. The only problem I could see is having to cook two different kinds of meat on the same cooker. Like ribs and chicken for me are always on different cookers at different temps.

But you should be able to make your set up work. Remember most of the quality of the product is from the cook and not the cooker!

I think you are the only one that can answer that. If you can successfully make your turn-ins, I guess it works. If not, you are in deep chit.

I builed the big smoker in a way that it has four racks in it. Three can be front doors
loading and one from the top (hinged lid).

Attachments

• CIMG4435.jpg
    CIMG4435.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 258
if you can get your meats done in time then good. only you know what will work. there was a guy next to me at a comp that was just using 3 weber grills. he did just fine, also saw a guy at the same comp using a 8k rig come in almost last. if you can cook good bbq that is all that you need to worrie about

Last edited:
The first words out of my mouth were "what the f#%! is that, I want one!". Nice build. I do pretty well at comps, I have $2,500 pitmaker BBQ Safe, along with some other exspensive equipment, but I do the best in comps on my homemade UDS. It was fairly cheap to build and ugly as sin, but turns out some award wining Q.

When you do hit the circuit, I want to take a pic with that monster. If its easy enough for you to break down and move then I don't see a problem with you using that. BTW what is the difference in temp between each level?

The only one that will know if your smokers work for comps is you. Just as long as you know your pits and can cook all categories . You are good to go .

When you do hit the circuit, I want to take a pic with that monster. If its easy enough for you to break down and move then I don't see a problem with you using that. BTW what is the difference in temp between each level?

No break down. Its one unit now =) There is about 10F difference from very bottom to very top. Im 225F kinda guy.

That is a cool looking smoker!

What would you be cooking on the bottom rack as it is right above the water pan? Just curious.

wallace

It's all in how well you know your pit and knowing how to use it. Get to know every aspect of it inside and out and you will do great. At my last comp, I cooked on a homemade UDS, a traeger pellet smoker, and a charcoal grill and I faired pretty well against a very tough group of teams. I am quite confident that right now, I could make much better Q on my UDS that I have about a hundred bucks invested in than I could on a $12,000 jambo pit. All because I know my cookers inside and out and know how they work. You will do great, practice is key! Practice until your friends and family are tired of eating Q all the time!

That is a cool looking smoker!

What would you be cooking on the bottom rack as it is right above the water pan? Just curious.

wallace
I was thinking brisket on bottom rack.....Im trying to use no water but Im still just experimenting with that idea.

mr farmboy- I totaly hear what u saying.
thank you

I've seen a $17 WalMart grill take first place in chicken repeatedly. I also know teams who have spent way over $10,000 on their cookers. So sure, your setup is fine for competition. As the front page of the Bullsheet said last month, "It's not the cooker, it's the cook."

Dive in and have fun!

Back