MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Default Tamahagane Knives

I'm looking for a good chef's knife and came across Tamahagane on cutleryandmore.com. Anyone know anything about this brand? The description sounds awesome for the money, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about knives just yet. Don't want to go wasting $100 on something that isn't what I'd hoped it would be. Any advice would be appreciated.
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hope Buccaneer or Landarc sees this thread and jumps in. Both are quite knowledgeable about Japanese knives.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, if they don't maybe I'll toss them a PM quick...
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
landarc

I see thread

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
landarc

I'll reply in detail when I get home. Meanwhile, which one are you looking at, and what do you want it to do?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

100$ is a good stamped knife or an inexpensive forged knife. http://www.cheftalk.com/t/69656/tama...hof-ikon-creme I always go to chef talk for my cutlery questions. I will be honest my personal chefs knife is a 30$ victorinox 10" chefs knife(I love this knife). I am saving for the wusthof ikon but that is $180 a knife. I love the look of the shan but me and the old lady are right and left handed so the awesome jap knifes are not an option because we would need to buy one left and one right euro blade designs are normally ambidextrous.
Teltum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Bludawg

I like this knife it has some great qualities that you find in knives costing 2-3 times as much.> Hand forged, Hard steel VG5 holds a very keen edge due to a higher carbon content, the 410 outer layer has excellent corrosion resistance BUCK uses a variant as the blade steel in their knives. Mircarta handle material this stuff is almost indestrictable and impervoius to moisture, oils & oders, and good gripability My Favorite Skinner has a Micarta handle, If I was looking for a New Knife these would be on my short list

Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
landarc

The Tamahagane knives are commonly known as Western-style knives in Japan. They are not single bevel, they are usually a symmetrical blade with a longer angle than most Western knives. This is accomplished with the two steel blade process they use.

I consider these to be quite similar to the lower end Shun blades, offering a very hard, fine grained steel edge, buffered with the soft stainless steel. As Bludawg mentioned, the stainless is a similar steel to what Buck uses, but, they harden it much more. I have tested out the Tamahagane Chef knife, and for $100, it is a solid buy.

For my use, and bearing in mind, my go to Chef knife right now is my old trusty Wusthof 8", I like this type of knife and seriously considered the Tamahagane and Shun knives to replace my Wusthof for every day use. I use a Dexter-Russel and have used Victorinox, and they are fine knives for the price. But, given a choice, I would never choose them for my kitchen.

I have decided my next two knife purchases will be a moderately priced 240mm carbon steel gyuto and a carbon steel Nakiri, I much prefer carbon steel over any stainless steel blade, the steel just holds an edge better. I hope that helps, if you have more questions, feel free to ask in this thread, I will check back later.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The Tamahagane knives are commonly known as Western-style knives in Japan. They are not single bevel, they are usually a symmetrical blade with a longer angle than most Western knives. This is accomplished with the two steel blade process they use.

I consider these to be quite similar to the lower end Shun blades, offering a very hard, fine grained steel edge, buffered with the soft stainless steel. As Bludawg mentioned, the stainless is a similar steel to what Buck uses, but, they harden it much more. I have tested out the Tamahagane Chef knife, and for $100, it is a solid buy.

For my use, and bearing in mind, my go to Chef knife right now is my old trusty Wusthof 8", I like this type of knife and seriously considered the Tamahagane and Shun knives to replace my Wusthof for every day use. I use a Dexter-Russel and have used Victorinox, and they are fine knives for the price. But, given a choice, I would never choose them for my kitchen.

I have decided my next two knife purchases will be a moderately priced 240mm carbon steel gyuto and a carbon steel Nakiri, I much prefer carbon steel over any stainless steel blade, the steel just holds an edge better. I hope that helps, if you have more questions, feel free to ask in this thread, I will check back later.

i alsohave a wusthof 8" and i love it . But i also have a cleaver that has nothing but japanies writeing on it that i do all my chopping with . (bought it in a garage sale for .30 cents
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the input! Is there an advantage/disadvantage to the San vs. the San Tsubame, or is it simply a cosmetic difference? Links to both are here if needed:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tamaha...-knife-p121744

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tamaha...-knife-p117876

Also wondering if Micarta would be preferred over pakkawood, or vice versa. And it looks like the Shun knives are only slightly higher priced on cutlery and more; are they much better than Tamahagane? Really appreciate y'all helping me narrow this down!
[/FONT][/SIZE]