Should I drill outlet holes in my ugly drum smoker?

boone8466

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I read the mother of all ugly drum smokers thread. That's a phenomenal resource. I took the plunge and built one about a month ago. I've had two cook's on it so far. My drum seems to be a slightly odd size. A Weber lid does not fit on my drum. I did drill a handle into the Drum lid, and this seems to me working just fine. I never did drill any outlet holes into the lid however. I have two layers of grill grates, and a thermometer and handles. I decided I want to see if there was enough air/smoke that was able to escape without actually drilling holes. The lid doesn't fit as well after I did my burnout either. My question to you, should I go ahead and drill any true outlet holes? I've had no trouble keeping my temperature between 225 and 250°. As long as my temperature is good, is there any reason I can't leave well enough alone? "The enemy of good, is better".

The first time I did pulled pork and it turned out great. Second time I did three pork butts overnight, then opened up the air intake valves and increased the temperature to finish with four boneless turkey breast. Everything turned out very good (Not yet great, but that's me learning how to use this new smoker)

If you have no exhaust at all you need to add some..... Most drums don't fit a weber lid without modification. The lid doesn't fit after burnout because you probably warped it when you burned it out. The lid should not be burnt out.

If it aint broke don't try & fix it. If your happy with the way it cooks DON'T FARK WITH IT.

Open top drums dont perfectly fit a weber lid, you have to re shape the rim of the lid to fit, or do the flange mod. My lid (i use the flat lid from the open top drum on mine still) is hard to get on and off my drum also, but i deal with it. And i only use the large bung as exhaust and have no problems with that.

You don't want a dirty fire. If your exhaust is less than your intake that is what you will get. It sounds like that's the case. There are several easy ways to add exhaust vent, holes being only one of them.

Last edited:
Back