MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Nobody would ever do this on purpose, but!!!!!!

So I'm firing up the pit last Sunday to do Easter turkey and my son asked me to cook a brisket because he had a pot luck dinner with his graduating large animal vet class at UF. Not one to question, I said sure trimmed & seasoned one up and threw in on? About mid-cook Sunday afternoon he informs me the pot luck is on the following Friday! I can't take it out and uncook it, so I finish the cook, let it cool a little then wrap it in plastic wrap (I mean really wrap it) and put it in my shop/BBQ fridge a 35* for a WEEK! Took it out of the fridge this morning at 8:30 AM, put it in a 225* convection oven on a rack in a tightly covered aluminum pan with about 1/4 inch of apple juice under the rack. Did same St Louis rib trim in a separate pan the same way. Warmed them until 11:30 put them into a cooler and delivered to the UF Vet School at 12:00 noon for lunch. Wife and I ran away to have a nice lunch together with a friend and I disclaimed any responsibility for the outcome.

Well, the report from my son was "the point was moist & juicy, the flat a little dry, but everybody said best brisket they ever had". My initial though was these folks have had to eat some really chitty brisket. But then we had the leftovers for dinner sandwiches and I've gotta say "not bad", not great but not bad!

The way I'm lookin at it: cheated death again! And, I'm wondering what it tasted like when it first cam out of the cooker???

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Great to hear it Dave.

We expect pics next time.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
dwfisk

Thanks. Didn't think a krap cook warrented pics so I did not take any. Learned something here and will probably document all cooks with pics in the future - you never know???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post
Great to hear it Dave.

We expect pics next time.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Good story. I'll remember that one for when I make too much or otherwise screw up.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good that it worked out.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
dwfisk

Thx.
PS: you're avatars are goin the wrong direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Good that it worked out.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Did you put some liquid in the brisket when you reheated it???
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have cooked a few for people that I work with.

I bring them in on Monday with very specific directions how to handle it

some totally ignore the directions and I found out a few weeks later that it was the best meat they have ever had, after letting it sit in the fridge, heating it back up any way they feel was proper, etc.

so I think its kind of hard to screw one up once its cooked properly

In fact I am cooking one tomorrow for one of my managers.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
dwfisk

Yep, but a great question. I pretty much always use apple juice to reheat Q. For the brisket, it was still wrapped in BP from the cook, but I put it in a pan with a 1/2 inch rack and about a 1/4 inch of apple juice, covered tight as a drum and reheated at 225*. This is pretty much my norm for reheating Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Did you put some liquid in the brisket when you reheated it???